Why Us For The Spine Surgery?
One of the best spine surgery hospital in Kochi, the Centre for Spine Care at Aster Medcity offers highly-advanced and personalised surgical and non-surgical treatment including minimally invasive spine surgery & awake spine surgery for management of neck and back problems, complex, disorders of the spine, disc degeneration and herniation, spinal deformities like scoliosis, spine and spinal cord injuries, spinal tumours and cranio-vertebral anomalies.
The exceptional team of doctors comprising Neurosurgeons and Orthopaedic Surgeons with specialised training in Spine Surgery, Neuro Trauma experts, Interventional Neuroradiologists, Radiation Oncologists, Pain Management & Critical Care experts, Neuro Anaesthetists and Spine Pathologists provide high-quality, evidence-based treatment to patients, with the help of an award-winning team of Nurses, Rehabilitation Therapists and Technicians. Multidisciplinary in approach, they create personalised, holistic treatment plans for patients to ensure the best possible medical outcomes.
Backed by state-of-the-art diagnostic and intra-operative technology including Stealth Station Neuro-Navigation, 3D- C Arm, Leica Microscopes and Allen Spine System Table, Aster Centre for Spine Care offers high-precision, safe minimally invasive spine surgery (key-hole spine surgery) that enables patients to return to normal life within a matter of hours to days.
1. Traditional Spine Surgery
Traditional methods of spine surgery, or ‘open procedures’ require long incisions down the middle of the back and stripping of muscles and ligamentous attachments to the spine. Moreover, the muscles are pulled and held apart to grant a surgeon access to the spine for the surgery duration. This can range from one hour to several hours. The invasive and traumatic nature of open spine surgery, compromises the vital supporting structures of the spine that play an important role in maintaining the strength and flexibility of your back.
2. MISS Method
A more recent method of performing spine surgery is called ‘minimally invasive spine surgery’ (MISS). Minimally invasive spine surgery techniques are far better for a patient because they aim to address the root cause of your spinal problem safely and completely, without disturbing the spine’s natural supporting structures.
3. Advanced Technologies
Optimal results are achieved through the right blend of latest innovations and technologies, such as intra-operative neuromonitoring, neuronavigation, microscopic guidance and O-arm TM system.
FACILITIES FOR SPINE SURGERY
We combine our expertise in the areas of patient-care, clinical research and academics in order to provide the highest level of specialised services to our patients. The Aster spine center was conceived as part of the overall scope of neurosurgery and was incorporated into our original vision document. As part of the transformation into a global COE a dedicated aster spine center was proposed. This would be a multispeciality service including neurosurgical and orthopaedic spine surgeons covering the entire gamut of spine pathology, both elective and emergency. The primary spine service would be supported by a very active physical medicine and rehabilitation service, and other departments like neurology, endocrinology, radiology and oncology. It might be possible to include an element of holistic care into the spine center by association with indigenous systems of medicine like Ayurveda.
- OR1 Fusion Digital Integrated Green OT certified surgical Suites
- IntelliSpace Critical Care and Anaesthesia (ICCA) ICUs
- Level 3 PICU
- 3.0 Tesla Widebore MRI
- 256 Slice Philips iCT Scan
- DEXA for bone density measurement
- Philips Astonish True Flight Select
- PET-CT with Time Of Flight Technology
- GE SPECT-CT Optima NM 640 Gamma Camera>
- True Beam Linear Accelerator with FFF Technology
- Karl Storz Endoscope
- Siemens Isocentric 3D C-arm
- Medtronic Stealth Station Navigation System
- Leica M530 OH6 Operating Microscope
- Leica M525 OH4 Operating Microscope
- Medtronic Legend high-speed pneumatic drills
- Medtronic Legend EHS Stylus electric drills
- Medtronic Legend oscillating and reciprocating microsaws
- Intraoperative Bone CUSA
- Intraoperative electrophysiological monitoring
- Allen Spine System Table
- Needle biopsy
- Soft tissue and bone pathology
- Spine and peripheral nerve pathology
- Immunohistochemistry & frozen section
- Advanced navigation system
- Endoscopy and MISS systems
- Intraop MRI
- Gamma (SPECT) Camera
- Whole body bone scan
- Regional three-phase bone scan
- Regional infection imaging
We have some of the best doctors from around the world, they bring years of experience and offer evidence based treatment to ensure the best care for you.
Want to find out more about the treatment? The answer to your questions can be found below.
Minimally invasive spine surgery is a highly advanced spine surgery technique using very small incisions, using cutting-edge intra-operative technology.
The advantages of minimally invasive spine surgery enable us to safely perform spine surgery in elderly patients with multiple medical problems and also obese /overweight patients, with the best possible medical outcomes.
Endoscopic Spine Surgery is a minimally invasive spine surgery procedure that helps to relieve pain caused by herniated discs pressing on nerve roots.
These are surgeries done under local or regional anaesthesia without using general anaesthesia. Certain Minimally invasive spine surgery can be done in this manner.
- Scoliosis is a condition wherein a person’s spine or back is curved like an “S” or “C”
- Scoliosis can be a by birth, acquired or age-related condition
- Early detection and correction (in the adolescent age itself) is the key to effective treatment of scoliosis
- Severe or visible scoliosis, if left untreated, can lead to complications including disfigurement, pain, breathing difficulties or nerve damage
- Children, adolescents with scoliosis
- Patients with kyphosis (hunchback / forward curving of the spine)
- Adults and elderly patients with spinal deformities
Yes, these surgeries are safe. The centre for spine care at Aster Medcity has the latest medical technology for ensuring maximum patient safety and are performed with the help of intra-operative nerve monitoring for unmatched accuracy.
- Very small surgical incisions and scars (approximately 18mm)
- Minimal muscle damage
- Minimal blood loss
- Lesser pain, which reduces the need for pain killers
- Fewer post-surgical complications
- Minimal hospital stay
- Quicker recovery
- Faster return to normal life
- Lower incidence of surgery related back pain
The narrowing of the spaces within the spine is known as spinal stenosis. The minimally invasive spine surgery procedure helps decompress the nerves in the narrow spaces between the vertebral bones and spinal joints.
Lumbar fusion is done to correct issues with the vertebrae such as painful motion and stability of the spine.
Many patients with multiple risk factors (cardiac/liver/kidney disorders) or those who are elderly may not be good candidates for general anesthesia. Awake spine surgery can be performed in such patients. Another advantage would be shorter recovery times and same day discharge from hospital.
Scoliosis spine surgery is a specialised surgery for correction of spine deformity
If the recovery is as expected, the patient can be discharged within a week. Children can get back to school about a month after the surgery