Dr. Kumara Swamy
Dr. Kumara Swamy is Sr. Consultant and Head, Radiation Oncology. He has over 35 years of experience in the field of radiation oncology as a mentor, professor and consultant. He has more than a decade of experience in radiosurgery (SRS/SBRT). At Aster CMI, he leads the state of the art, radiation oncology services with the availability of "targeted" radiation equipment with latest Truebeam STx with PerfectPitch 6-DoF couch robotic positioning system for different clinical situations, teaming up with sophisticated surgical techniques and targeted chemo-Immuno therapies. Dr. Kumara Swamy is committed to evidence-based patient centred approach of the Oncology Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT) of Aster CMI. His other key areas of interest are Radiotherapy/Radiosurgery Immune-modulation and Life Style Awareness consultation in the prevention of cancer recurrence.
Dr. Kumara Swamy has worked in various senior capacities in multiple private, government and public institutions over the last three and a half decades in the field of radiation oncology and cancer research. He has acquired the skills of 3 Dimensional Conformal Radiotherapy (3DCRT)/Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy (IMRT) as early as 1998 from Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, St. Louis, USA; Image Guided Radiotherapy (IGRT) from University of Iowa Hospital, University Of San Francisco Hospital (UCSF), CT On Rails -Morristown Hospital New Jersey, USA 2006; Cyberknife Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS), Stereotactic Radiotherapy (SRT), and Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy (SBRT) from Accuray, Sunnyvale, California and Mount Sinai Hospital, Baltimore, USA 2009 and Tomotherapy from the University of Heidelberg, Germany 2015.
- Radiation oncology
- Radio surgery-immune modulation
- Lifestyle awareness consultation
ASTRO 2012: Worked on immunomodulatory changes against cancer cells in the body with Cyberknife dose technology compared to regular radiotherapy, which received the Travel Award in ASTRO, Boston, 2012.
- Secretary, 2005-06, Association of Radiation Oncologists of India, Karnataka Chapter.
- Life Member, Association of Radiation Oncologists of India.
- Life member, Association of Medical Physicists of India
- Life member, Indian Society of Oncology
- Life member IMA, Pune
- Fellow of College of General Practitioners (FCGP)
Over 40 publications in national and international journals, books, book reviews and research papers in diverse areas in the area of cancer and oncology.
Publications - National:
- Comparison of Kaplan-Meier method with Life table method in actuarial calculation Cancer Registry Abstract, Vol.4, no 1,2, page 18-21, May 1990.
- Results of carcinoma cervix treated with intracavitary radiotherapy, Journal of Clinical Radiotherapy and Oncology, January 1991.
- The dose time relationship in the radiotherapy of carcinoma of the cervix - application of CRE formalism. S.S Supe, Kumara Swamy et al., Indian Journal of Cancer Vol. 29, 148-158, Sept. 1992
- Intraluminal Brachytherapy in carcinoma of the oesophagus: comparison of afterloading techniques. Journal of Cancer. Udaya Kumar M., Supe S. , Kumara Swamy, Keshava S.L. and Anantha N. Indian Journal of Cancer. 30:181-188, 1993.
- Problems in Survival analysis in groups of patients with unsatisfactory follow-up. Cancer Registry Abstract, 1993.
- TDF and ERD as potential tools in the combined external and intracavitary radiotherapy treatments of carcinoma of the uterine cervix. Supe S. S., Khole V., Kumara Swamy and Anantha N. Jr. Medical Physics. 19:1-5,1994.
- Format for conducting survival studies in cancer of the cervix. A. Nandakumar and Kumara Swamy. National Cancer Registry Program, ICMR, 1996.
- Primary central nervous system lymphoma - a report of nine cases. K.C. Lakshmaiah, D. Lokanath, C. Ramesh, K.G. Govinda Babu, C.Rama Rao, Kumara Swamy. Indian Journal of Cancer, vol. 33,103-107, 1996.
- Role of Bioeffect Models in the post-operative radiotherapy of carcinoma of the breast. N Viswanathan, V. Bhaskar, Sanjay S. Supe, Kumara Swamy, R. Ravichandran, V. Kannan, C. Ramesh. Journal of Clinical Radiotherapy and Oncology, Vol12, N0. 1-2:91-95,1997.
- Factors influencing the evaluation of an article in cancer literature. Kumara Swamy, S.S. Supe, C. Ramesh. Accepted for publication in - Indian Journal of Cancer, January 2000. 8. Rekha V. Kumar, Kumaraswamy, M. Vijayakumar. Indian Medical Institutions, Kidwai Memorial Institute of Oncology, The National Medical Journal of India, volume 13, number 5, September/October 2000, pp 263 – 266.
- The myths about cancer. Kumara Swamy, C. Ramesh. Sent for publication in the Indian Journal of Public Health, 2002.
- Sinus Histiocytosis with nodal and extranodal involvement – a case report. V Bhaskar, Kumara Swamy, BKM Reddy, Sanjay S. Supe, Rekha V. Kumar. Journal of Indian Medical Association, vol. 101, no. 1, January 2003.
Publications - International:
- K. Swamy, S. Supe, M. Udayakumar, N.Viswanathan, N. Anantha: The Time dose fractionation (TDF) relationship in the radiotherapy of carcinoma of the cervix. Strahlentherapie and Oncologie, 10; 603 - 607 October 1991.
- Kumara Swamy, N. Viswanathan, D.S. Mohan, and M.S. Belliappa: Influence of Brachytherapy dose rate on complications in the treatment of carcinoma of the uterine cervix. Endocurietherapy/Hyperthermia Oncology an International Journal, October 1991, vol. 7.
- M. Udaya Kumar, T. Ranganath, Kumara Swamy, Ashwathnarayana .S., S.L. Keshava, N. Anantha. Intraluminal Brachytherapy in Oesophageal Cancer - a simple afterloading technique. Clinical Oncology, 4:119-122, 1992.
- Kumara Swamy, Sanjay S. Supe, M. Udaya Kumar, N. Viswanathan, N. Anantha. Application of Radiation Effect Models in Combined External and Intracavitary Radiotherapy of Carcinoma of the Uterine Cervix. Acta Oncologica 31, no. 4, 443-448, 1992.
- M. Udaya Kumar, Kumara Swamy, Sanjay S. Supe, N. Anantha. Influence of Intraluminal Brachytherapy dose on complications in the treatment of oesophageal cancer. Int. J. Radiation Oncology Biol. Phys. Vol. 27, pp. 1069 - 1072, 1993.
- A. Nandakumar, N. Anantha, T. Venugopal, S. Reddy, P. Bapsy, Kumara Swamy, D. Doval, and C. Rama Rao. Descriptive Epidemiology of Lymphoid and Heamopoitic Malignancies in Bangalore, India. Int. J. Cancer: 63, 37-42, 1995.
- A. Nandakumar, N. Anantha, L. Appaji, Kumara Swamy, G. Mukherjee, T. Venugopal, S. Reddy and Murali Dhar. Descriptive Epidemiology of Childhood cancers, Bangalore. Cancer Causes and Control, 7,407-412, 1996.
- B. K. Mohanti, Kumara Swamy, T. Ganesh, Punita Lal, B.M. Biswal, R.C. Joshi, Harold d'Souza, and G.K. Rath. Iridium-192 interstitial Brachytherapy in carcinoma tongue: The importance of various Tumour and Physical parameters. Acta Oncologica, 21; 183-190, 1997. Publication of Dept. Of Radiation Oncology, IRCH, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi and Kidwai Memorial Institute Of Oncology.
- Kumara Swamy, A. Nandakumar, N. Anantha, T. C. Venugopal, N. Viswanathan. Survival In Cancer Cervix: treatment in a population based cancer registry in a developing country, Bangalore (India). Cancer Causes and Control, January 1998.
- G. Mukharjee, A. Freeman, R. Moore, Kumaraswamy, K. Uma Devi, L.S. Morris, N. Coleman, S. Dilworth, P.S. Prabhakaran & M.A. Stanley. Biologic factors and response to radiotherapy in carcinoma cervix. International Journal of Gynaecological Cancer 2001, 11, 187-193. Publication of Kidwai Memorial Institute Of Oncology and Dept. Of Pathology, University of Cambridge, UK.
- Dosimetric and QA aspects of Konrad inverse planning system for commissioning intensity-modulated radiation therapy. Deshpande S, Sathiyanarayanan VK, Bhangle J, Swamy K, Basu S. J Med Phys. 2007 Apr;32(2):51-5.
- Dose Escalation Image Guided Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy of Carcinoma Prostate - Preliminary Results. Kumara Swamy, Sathiya Narayanan V K, Sumeet Basu, Vikram Maiya, Rimpa Achari, Shrikant Deshpande, Janhavi Bhangle, Kamlesh Kumar Gupta, Nirmal Babu, Surendra Pawar, Ashish Atre, Kashyapi Balachandra, Koppiker CB. J Cancer Res Ther. 2009 Oct-Dec;5(4):277-83.
- Concurrent Chemoradiation for Cancer of the Cervix: Results of a Multi-Institutional Study From the Setting of a Developing Country (India). Nandakumar A, Kishor Rath G, Chandra Kataki A, Poonamalle Bapsy P, Gupta PC, Gangadharan P, Mahajan RC, Nath Bandyopadhyay M, Kumaraswamy, Vallikad E, Visweswara RN, Selvaraj Roselind F, Sathishkumar K, Daniel Vijaykumar D, Jain A, Lakshminarayana Sudarshan K. J Glob Oncol. 2015 Sep 23;1(1):11-22.
- Decreased Survival With Mastectomy Vis-à-Vis Breast-Conserving Surgery in Stage II and III Breast Cancers: A Comparative Treatment Effectiveness Study. Nandakumar A, Rath GK, Kataki AC, Bapsy PP, Gupta PC, Gangadharan P, Mahajan RC, Bandyopadhyay MN, Swamy K, Vallikad E, Visweswara RN, Roselind FS, Sathishkumar K, Kumar DDV, Jain A, Sudarshan KL. J Glob Oncol. 2016 Oct 12;3(4):304-313.
Publications – Books
- Educational Book Indian College of Radiation Oncology (ICRO), CME 2002, Carcinoma Colon, Carcinoma Rectum and Electron Beam Therapy. Compiled by Kumara Swamy, Nalini Rao, M. Udaya Kumar, M.G. Janaki, 2002.
- Fifty Years of Cancer Control In India. Editor: Dr. S.P. Agarwal; Associate Editors: Prof Y.N. Rao, Dr. Sudhir Gupta, National Cancer Control Programme, Directorate General of Health Services Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of India, November 2002. A novel comprehensive integrated model for cancer control – P.S. Prabhakaran, P.P. Bapsy, Aruna E. Prasad, U.D. Bafna and Kumaraswamy, page 129-135, 2002.
- Manual on IGRT, First Anniversary Edition, on the occasion of First IGRT Workshop, 26th August 2007 and Trends in Cancer, International Conference, Ruby Hall Clinic 24th –26th August 2007. Edited by Kumara Swamy, VK Sathiyanaryana, Sumeet Basu.
Publications - Editor
- Executive editor of "ONCOSCOPE" - bulletin of Kidwai Memorial Institute of Oncology 93-98.
- Edited Proceedings of WHO Workshop (4-5 November 1993) on “Development of Oncology Wing in Medical Colleges - Recommendations” published as a booklet in 1993. Sponsored by WHO & Ministry of Health, Govt. of India.
- Studies, Strategies and Concepts for Women's health in Women's hands: A Community approach for the Control of Cancer Cervix in Karnataka, India. EDITORS: Elizabeth Vallikad, Suneetha Krishnamurty, Kumara Swamy. Publication Supported by Hivos India Regional Office, Bangalore, India & The Mac Arthur Foundation Chicago, USA. Published by Department of Gynaecologic Oncology, KIDWAI MEMORIAL INSTITUTE OF ONCOLOGY, Bangalore 1998.
- Was Editor for oncology section in Indegene.com, a premier health portal for doctors, (initial years).
- Pattern of Care and Survival Studies, Patient Information Manual – Cancer Breast, Cancer Cervix and Head and Neck Cancers - National Cancer Registry Programme of Indian Council of Medical Research, 2004. Compiled and Edited by Dr. Kumara Swamy and Dr. A. Nandakumar.
- IGRT Manual. First Anniversary Edition, Edited by DR. Kumara Swamy, Chief Radiation Oncologist; V.K.Sathiya Narayanan, Chief Radiation Physicist et al; Ruby Hall Clinic, Kamalnayan Bajaj Cancer Center, No. 40, Sassoon Road, Pune – 411001, Maharashtra, India, 26th August 2007. First IGRT Workshop.
- Current trends in Gynaecologic Oncology. Lalit Kumar (ed). Himalaya Publishing House, Mumbai, 1999,177pp. The National Medical Journal of India, volume 13, number 5, September/October 2000, pp 267 – 268. 2. Textbook of Radiation Oncology: Principles and Practice. Editors: Goura K. Rath, Bindhu K Mohanti, Publishers: B.I. Churchill Livingstone, New Delhi, Pages 821. Tropical Gastroenterology, vol. 22, number2, April-June 2001, pp 119.
Investigator/Co-investigator - Ongoing research protocols:
- To evaluate three-dimensional conformal radiation therapy (3DCRT) confined to the region of the lumpectomy cavity for stage I and IIA breast carcinoma.Results presented in RSNA, 2007.
- Biomab in carcinoma cervix. HCG. Results yet to be published.
- Evaluation of MRI apparent diffusion (ADC) mapping as predictive biological marker in potentially personalized and genetically targeted approach in the radiotherapy treatment of Carcinoma prostate. Preliminary results presented at Varian Research Partnership Symposium, May 1-3, 2017 at Chicago. The study is prematurely closed since enough patients could not be recruited due to change in management policies and referral pattern of carcinoma prostate. The abstract submitted accepted in ASTRO 2018, San Antonio.