Sprains/strains happen when you cannot put weight on the part of your body without pain, and the area appears bruised or swollen, or If there is tenderness and pain around a joint like radiation, thumb, knee, ankle, etc.
- Avoid heat therapy, hot baths and massages, and alcohol for 10-15 days
- Rest: no exercise/ physical activity.
- Ice: apply ice pack/ frozen pea bag over the area every few hours for 20 minutes.
- Compression: use compression elastics to manage any swelling.
- Elevate: elevate the injured part above the level of the heart to reduce swelling.
- Use otc painkillers and analgesic creams to reduce pain.