Tumor removal surgeries are also known as tumor resection surgeries or cancer surgery. It can be done as a major open surgery or performed laparoscopically, depending on the location and extent of the tumor. Types of Tumor removal surgeries:
- Incisional: the incision is made to remove the piece of the affected area
- Excisional: total affected tissue is removed
- Curative: removal of lesions and part of healthy tissue to prevent a recurrence
- Palliative: surgeries are done other than cancer removal when it is very advanced
- Supportive surgery
- Reconstructive: done to help restore function after the loss of an organ
- Preventive(e.g., women undergoing breast removal when they carry the gene for breast cancer).