The Department of Paediatric Surgery at Aster CMI hospital is a well-equipped unit that offers advanced care for surgical problems in newborns, infants, older children and adolescents. The department offers a host of services which includes general paediatric surgery, neonatal surgery, paediatric urology, thoracic surgery, endoscopy (bronchoscopy and cystoscopy), robotic surgery, gastrointestinal surgery, minimally invasive surgery, and endoscopy. The surgical team at the department of paediatric surgery consists of experienced consultants who are supported by qualified Pediatric Anesthetists, Intensivists and Nursing staff. The department also works closely with other specialities like the Department of Paediatrics, Neonatology, Radiology and Oncology and leverages the latest diagnostic and treatment methods offering individualized care for your child and your family.
Aster CMI’s paediatric surgery department is equipped with best-in-class technology and Infrastructure that includes
- Paediatric esophagoscopes, gastroscopes, bronchoscopes and colonoscopes.
- Paediatric and neonatal resectoscopes & cystoscopes.
- Paediatric and neonatal laparoscopic instrumentation.
- Robotic instrumentation
- State-of-the-art Pathology, Microbiology and Histopathology with special immunohistochemistry analysis.
- Intensive care units are backed up with fully functional Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) and Paediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU).
- A range of Paediatric Radiology services that include conventional radiology with an image intensifier for contrast studies, sophisticated Ultrasounds, MRCP, CT scan, MRI, Nuclear scan, PET-CT scan etc.
- Intraoperative radiological services.
Some of the most common issues treated by the paediatric surgery team are
- Hernia, hydroceles, undescended testis, phimosis
- Congenital and developmental anomalies
- Burns, trauma and injuries
Complex surgical problems in children treated by the department of paediatric surgery at Aster CMI Hospital include
- Neonatal surgery
- Paediatric Urology
- Paediatric Gastro surgery
- Paediatric Thoracic surgery
- Paediatric Onco surgery
- Minimal Access surgery including Robotic Surgery
- Paediatric Endoscopy
- Paediatric Bronchoscopy
- Gastrointestinal surgery
- Hepatobiliary surgery
- Vascular Malformations- Management
The surgeries specific to the above-listed expertise are enumerated below
Antenatal Counselling(ANC): It is a technique that is performed to assess the presence of genetic and structural anomalies in an unborn child. This type of treatment method is usually conducted among individuals with a family history of genetic disorders. Expectant parents are counselled about the problems a child may be born with and the possible treatments that are available, prognosis and their outcomes. Antenatal Counselling is an essential part of the treatment as it builds rapport between anxious parents and the pediatric surgery team.
Newborn Surgeries: Newborns are often born with certain defects that may require them to undergo surgery after their birth or within a few hours or days. Some of the most common examples of birth defects that require surgery are -
- Oesophagal Atresia
- Ano-Rectal Malformation
- Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia
- Midgut Volvulus / Malrotation
- Pyloric/Intestinal Atresias
- Omphalocele, Gastroschisis
- Exstrophy bladder/ Cloacal Exstrophy
- Necrotising Enterocolitis, Peritonitis
- Congenital airway malformations
- Intestinal Obstruction
Paediatric Urology: It is a surgical subspecialty that deals with congenital and acquired disorders of the genitourinary tract among children. The surgeons at the paediatric urology department at Aster CMI Hospital are well adept at handling issues related to urological conditions or congenital abnormalities in newborn patients, children, or adolescents. The common urological issues treated by our paediatric urology team include -
- Posterior Urethral Valve
- Exstrophy - Epispadias complex
- Vesicoureteral Reflux (VUR), Hydroureteronephrosis (HUN)
- Pelvic - Ureteric Junction Obstruction (PUJO)
- Neurogenic bladder
- Renal Duplex system
- Hypospadias, Epispadias
- Undescended testes
- Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (CAH)
- Vaginal atresia
- Disorders of Sexual Differentiation (DSD) [Ambiguous Genitalia]
Paediatric Oncology: This speciality deals with the diagnosis and treatment of all types of childhood cancers. At Aster CMI Hospital our team of experienced doctors offer the best support to you and your child and deals with all types of cancers and tumours that affect an infant, child, teenager or adolescent between the age group of 0-19 years. Our oncologists effectively diagnose the type of cancer that your child may be suffering from and ensure complete safety and comfort at every stage of the treatment. Major surgeries offered by our Paediatric Oncology team include -
- Renal tumours - Wilm’s, Renal Cell Carcinomas
- Adrenal gland tumours
- Thoracic and other abdominal tumours.
- Head and Neck tumours
- Sacrococcygeal Teratoma
- Vascular tumours.
Abdominal surgeries: It is a broad term used for several surgeries that are performed around the abdominal region and can be used to treat or diagnose medical conditions that are present in this area. There are different types of Abdominal surgeries that are performed at Aster CMI Hospital including -
- Intestinal duplications
- Meckel’s diverticulum
- Extra Hepatic Biliary Atresia (EHBA)
- Choledochal cyst
- Pancreatic pseudocysts, Annular pancreas.
- Obstructive jaundice
- Intestinal obstruction
Thoracic Surgeries: This type of surgery provides services for treatments of non-cardiac, benign and malignant diseases of the chest. The Paediatric surgeons at Aster CMI Hospital are well trained in handling chest/thoracic anomalies that can affect children like -
- Congenital Pulmonary Airway Malformation (CPAM)
- Thymus surgeries
- Empyema thoracis
- Thoracic cage deformation
Minimally Invasive Surgeries: This type of surgery is also known as a keyhole surgery that employs minimal skin cuts or no cuts at all when compared with standard or traditional surgery. In this process, very tiny incisions are precisely done using cutting-edge technologies like Robotic surgeries, Laparoscopic, Thoracoscopic and Endoscopic surgeries.
We have some of the best specialists from around the world, they bring years of experience and offer evidence-based treatment to ensure the best care for you.