What conditions can a dietitian assist you with?
Our dietitians are available for consultations for general healthy eating advice. We also prescribe medical nutritional therapy to manage a range of conditions including:
- Weight loss or obesity
- Diabetes, pre-diabetes, gestational diabetes
- High cholesterol, heart conditions and high blood pressure
- Gastrointestinal disease (diverticular disease, celiac disease, ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease, irritable bowel syndrome)
- Surgery impacting gastrointestinal function
- Gastrointestinal symptoms such as chronic constipation, diarrhoea, vomiting, and reflux
- Long term /short term tube feeding
- Cancer and related treatments
- Food allergy and intolerance
- Kidney and liver disease
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Childhood obesity
- Eating disorders
- Providing internship training for Nutrition students from various colleges across the country.
- Nutritional screening for all the inpatients as a part of initial assessment within 24 hours of admission.
- Reassessment of the patient at regular intervals.
- Counseling to patients/ family on nutritional therapy.
- Education to patients/ family about diet and nutrition.
- Diet planning / distribution at relevant timings.
- Medical nutrition therapy for all inpatient.
- Formulation of dietary advice for individual patients.
- Monitoring and design of suitable feeding regimens for patients requiring nutritional support, i.e. enteral feeding
- Professional staff education.
- Inpatient and outpatient diet consultations.
- Ward rounds to have a closer contact with patients on therapeutic diet.
- Awareness programmes on nutrition among pregnant ladies, lactating mothers, rural school teachers and public
- children are done by dietitians to educate them on proper and healthy dietary practices.
Diabetes mellitus is one of the most common and serious chronic diseases in our world. Diabetes is the leading cause of retinopathy, nephropathy, neuropathy, etc.
People with diabetes are 2-4 times more likely to have coronary heart disease and stroke than people without diabetes.
So, we have started a diabetic clinic at Aster MIMS Kannur. It was named DREAM (Diabetes Remission with Exercise and Diet @ Aster MIMS). The program was inaugurated on 3rd February 2020. It mainly focuses on Diet and exercises therapy to control diabetes.
You may self-refer or be referred by your doctor or another health professional. Inpatients are able to meet dietitians during their routine visit or can request a referral through their nurse.