Equipped with advanced facilities for child & adolescent care, the Department of Paediatrics at Aster Women and Children Hospital provides quality care and best-in-class treatment for sick infants and children up to the age of 18 years.
Our team consists of highly skilled and dedicated professionals who provide expert treatment and consultation in several fields of Paediatric medicine including general paediatrics, paediatric emergencies, paediatric critical care and neonatal intensive care services.
General Paediatric services
Routine Pediatric out-patient (OPD) services are available daily from 9 AM- 8 PM at Aster Women & Children’s. These include attending to children with sickness as well as vaccination services for children of the age group of 0-18 yrs, along with routine checks on growth and development of the child. Our primary focus areas are -
- Ambulatory Pediatrics
- General Health and Preventive checks from newborns till 18 years of age
- Growth and Development care
- Essential newborn care
- Infectious disease, and seasonal illness
- Family-centered care with a special focus on community outreach
- Parental education, and counselling to distressed children and extended family
If any child is found to have an issue that needs further referral to any Speciality, then the child is referred to that particular Speciality in the Department of Pediatrics. Pediatric specialists in the fields of Cardiology, ENT, Endocrinology, Hematology, Intensive care, Neonatology, Neurology, Oncology, Orthopaedics, Pulmonology, Rheumatology and Pediatric surgery are presently available at Aster Women & Children’s. If any input or intervention from Pediatric surgery is required, the child is referred to Pediatric Surgery department. In addition, Aster Child Development Centre has trained specialists in the field of Pediatric Physiotherapy, Psychology, Speech therapy and Behavioural therapy.
We have some of the best specialists from around the world, they bring years of experience and offer evidence-based treatment to ensure the best care for you.
Want to find out more about the treatment? The answer to your questions can be found below.
Who is a Paediatrician?
A paediatrician is a doctor who specializes in providing medical care for children, adolescents and young adults (from birth -18 years of age). These doctors prevent, detect and manage any physical, behavioural and developmental issues that may occur in a child and offer right advice to ensure their healthy growth and development.
When should you consult a paediatrician for your newborn?
In high risk pregnancies, Pediatrician maybe involved even before the baby is born as part of a multi-disciplinary team managing the mother and unborn baby. For normal pregnancies, it is advisable to consult Pediatrician from birth. Frequent visits in the first few years are needed for regular vaccinations, diet advice, growth and development monitoring. Ensuring regular follow-ups are essential to build a rapport between parents and the doctor in order to be able to do the right thing for the baby at every stage of life.
What role does a pediatrician have and what can they diagnose?
Paediatricians have a wide range of responsibilities which include:
- Being present in the labor room or Operation theatre during delivery of the baby, providing essential newborn care and any Resuscitation if required. In our hospital, we have a team of Newborn care specialists (Neonatologists) available for Essential Newborn Care. If baby requires any close monitoring or special care or is born preterm or low birth weight, baby will be managed in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU).
- Providing regular Out-patient and In-patient care of pediatric patients
- Conduct well visits and follow-up baby from birth, advise and address concerns regarding child’s diet
- Keep a track of child’s illnesses, growth and development
- Administer vaccinations to prevent vaccine-preventable illnesses
- To provide care during acute illness, diagnose and prescribe appropriate medication as per age and weight of the child.
- To advise parents about likely cause of illness, order investigations and advise on hospitalisation if necessary. Facilities for the same are available at Aster Women and Children’s including Pediatric Intensive Care Unit for care of very sick children.
- To refer the child with any chronic health condition to the concerned Speciality and play an active role as Primary care provider in the management of the child alongwith the Specialist
Our patients are our best advocates, hear the inspiring stories of their treatment journey
The source of trustworthy health and medical information. Through this section, we provide research-based health information, and all that is happening in Aster Hospital.