When am I constipated?
It is a common misunderstanding that not passing motion is constipation. However, constipation truly means that there is a change in your normal bowel habits, to cause discomfort in your tummy.
What are the signs to look for?
If you are going through any change in bowels habits as listed below, you should inform your doctor.
- Firm/ Hard stools
- Straining to pass stools/ taking longer in the bathroom than before.
- Pain while passing stools
- Feeling of incomplete emptying
- Bloated feeling in tummy
- Tummy cramping pains
- Nausea along with abdominal discomfort.
What can I do?
- Eat Enough Fiber
- Drink plenty of water – about 2 liters a day
- Exercise everyday
- Do not resist the urge to go to the bathroom
- Position yourself as shown in the picture
- Discuss with nutritionist about foods rich in fiber
- Inform your doctor if there are concerns
- Follow the instructions prescribed without fail
What are the possible complications?
- Overflow diarrhea
- Abdominal pain
- Urinary retention
- Hemorrhoids/ Piles
- Cuts (fissure in ano)
- Confusion/ Delirium
- Intestinal obstruction