The Department of Palliative Medicine at Aster CMI Hospital is one of the leading Palliative Care Centres in Bangalore with the palliative care team working on the Interdisciplinary & acute palliative care model in India. The team of professionals comes with a combined work experience of over 20 years. Practising ethical, evidence-based palliative medicine, the team is dedicated to caring for patients suffering from chronic life-limiting illnesses, throughout the entire course of illness, starting from the time of diagnosis. The team comprises pain specialists, palliative specialists, Palliative Nurse-specialists, psychologists, Nutritionists, Mind-Body Medicine specialists, Physiotherapists, Occupational therapist, who work in an interdisciplinary approach, with ‘patient-centric’ management. They provide symptom control and supportive care for symptoms that could arise primarily from any life-limiting illness or from the treatment for the illness. The examples being heart failure, chronic kidney disease, chronic pulmonary disease, Cancer, Chronic liver disease, Neurological illness, Paediatric palliative care.
We understand that as Individuals, pain experienced by the patient and family is multidimensional – physical, emotional, psychological, spiritual – a concept of ‘Total Pain’. Our team works by having a complete assessment of all the aspects of pain and ensuring an individualized plan to treat and care for the patient and caregiver. The treatment plans are personalized post evaluation for the specific needs and consists of non-pharmacological and pharmacological approach.
Palliative Nurse Specialists are experienced professionals who are trained to provide support and advice, regarding practical care of the patient. Empowering the patient and caregiver to confidently manage symptoms at home. Care for patients is also provided on an outpatient basis through speciality clinics of Mucositis Clinic, Constipation Clinic, Malignant wound Clinic, Ostomy care, and Lymphedema care.
Extended care at home:
The team continues to supervise care for the patient in the familiar comfort of their home upon discharge. The support needed at home, the equipment required will be discussed and the family prepared for the time of caregiving at home.
Interventional Pain management:
Pain management and care go beyond just medications. We provide a holistic approach to manage difficult intractable pain. In the event of pain being refractory to these measures, Interventional pain management is offered as per the requirement of the individual patient. Interventions could be ultrasound-guided or performed in the Hybrid Cath-Lab, with the state of the art technology.
This approach of management and care, provided alongside the treating team, unquestionably sets ASTER CMI hospital as the best hospital for Pain and Palliative care.
What is Palliative medicine?
Palliative care is a specialty in medicine that provides supportive care and symptom control for individuals across all ages with serious health-related suffering due to severe illness or its treatment. It aims to improve in a holistic manner, the quality and dignity of life of patients and their caregivers. Early integration of palliative care has proved scientifically to improve the longevity of life.
What Illnesses/ health-related suffering are we talking about?
The true scope of Pain and Palliative Care encompasses the care of a patient with a life-limiting illness, including, heart failure, chronic kidney disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, chronic liver disease, Stroke, Neurological illnesses, cerebral palsy, cancer, AIDS, geriatric care, pediatric palliative care and those near the end of life.
What do symptoms mean?
Symptoms mean problems that arise from the illness/ the treatment for the illness such as:
- Pain – prevents an individual from being themselves and doing what they want. It affects their food intake, socializing, and sleep leading to extreme distress.
- Nausea and Vomiting – prevents them from even having the smell of food. Distressing as unable to maintain strength and nourishment.
- Fatigue – feeling helpless as they are unable to be themselves.
- Breathlessness – Inability to walk or interact with family, distressing to the patient.
- Constipation – Not everyone wants to talk about it, but can be disabling causing loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, bloating.
- Delirium – Distressing for patient and family, where the patient will be confused, forgetful, or irritable.
Core principles of Palliative medicine:
- Affirms life to be lived to the best possible quality.
- Provide personalised care and relief from distressing symptoms, throughout their illness.
- Affirms that pain can be psychological, emotional and spiritual and need to be heard and addressed professionally.
- Aim of any treatment is to neither speed up nor delay death.
- Accepts death and dying as normal physiological aspects of life.
- Respect the goals of care set by the patient and family.
When can we have this service?
Palliative care can be provided at all points in the disease course – from diagnosis through curative treatment, recovery or progression of the disease, to death and bereavement support.
Why are the Services provided at ASTER unique?
Our one of the kind, inter-disciplinary service, provides personalized holistic care, with the patient as the primary focus, with caregiver's valued inputs. Our team of experts includes :
- Palliative Specialists
- Pain Specialist
- Specialty Clinics
- Constipation clinic
- Mucositis clinic
- Malignant wound clinic
- Lymphedema clinic
- Ostomy care clinic
- Experienced Specialist Palliative care Physician Assistants
- Physiotherapy, Occupational therapy, Speech and language therapist
- Psychology support/psycho-oncology support
- Clinical Pharmacist
- Mind-body medicine
What are the interventional options for cancer pain management?
In a small group of patients, when pain is still distressing to the patient despite optimization of medications, our pain specialist would discuss in clarity interventions (procedures) that could be beneficial to control the pain. These procedures are performed on a shared decision basis in consensus with the patient and family. They are done with precision at ASTER is an advanced hybrid CATH LAB or Ultrasound guidance.
Provision of service:
- Extended Home care services – Supervised Care by Primary physician continued at home
Consult the Best Palliative Care Specialist in Bangalore at Aster CMI Hospital in Hebbal.