The Centre of Excellence in Child & Adolescent Health at Aster Medcity is one of the best pediatric hospital in Kochi for comprehensive management of diseases, disorders and other medical conditions in neonates, children and adolescents. Design like an independent hospital, this centre has an outpatient wing, an inpatient wing, level 3 paediatric & neonatal intensive care units, dedicated paediatric surgery suites, state-of-the-art imaging facilities, a rehabilitation wing and a 24-hour emergency wing to handle all paediatric emergencies. A child-friendly facility, the warm and comforting ambience hastens the healing process.
The world-class team of doctors here comprises highly experienced Paediatricians, Neonatologists, Paediatric Intensivists and experts from various paediatric specialties. Multidisciplinary in approach, they provide high-quality, evidence-based treatment to patients, with the support of trained paediatric and neonatal Nurses, Therapists and Technicians.
The paediatric critical care wing at Aster Medcity is one of the most advanced facilities of its kind in the region. The Level 3 PICU and NICUs here are equipped with state-of-the-art life-support systems including Inhaled Nitric Oxide, total body cooling for HIE and ECMO, to ensure the best possible treatment for critically ill/ injured children.
The expert team of paediatric and neonatal critical care ensures highly specialised care for newborns and children who are medically unstable and require mechanical ventilation or single or multi-organ support. The PICU also offers post-operative care for children who have undergone surgeries, including organ/ cell transplant. Manned 24/7 by Paediatric Intensivists and PALS certified Nurses, these units are closely supervised by the Infection Control Department to check and prevent any possibilities of cross-infection.
Aster Medcity is also the first in the region to introduce paediatric intensive care transport and retrieval, with the help of fully equipped ICU ambulances and aeromedical transfer.
Through our 25+ specialities, we provide in-depth expertise in the spectrum of advance medical and surgical interventions. Our specialties are integrated to provide a seamless experience.
We have some of the best specialists from around the world, they bring years of experience and offer evidence-based treatment to ensure the best care for you.
We provide comprehensive treatment for all types diseases under one roof. Our highly experienced doctors supported by especially trained clinical staff, ensure the best care for you.
Well equipped with the latest medical equipment, modern technology & infrastructure, Aster Hospital is one of the best hospitals in India.
- Patient & family services: family resource centre with family support specialists and Paediatric Psychologists.
- Evaluation of bio-behavioural aspects of primary illness along the road from diagnosis to post-recovery and providing right guidance.
- Working with the family and caregivers to cope with the stress of living with a physical illness.
- Assistance in developing tools that the child and his/her family require to manage the acute phase of the child’s condition.
- Management of the child’s emotional and physical pain in a manner that’s appropriate to his or her age.
- Support to manage stress/ normal/ abnormal reaction to illness.
- Identifying psychopathology and planning a customised, multidisciplinary treatment strategy that includes psycho-education, supportive psychotherapy, relaxation training, cognitive behavioural therapy and pyschopharmacology.
- Combining individual treatment, family-based treatment and community resources to ensure the best possible outcome.
A central venous line is most often put in when a baby cannot get a percutaneous inserted central catheter (PICC) or midline central catheter (MCC). A central venous line can be used to give nutrients or medicines to a baby. It is only put in when babies need IV nutrients or medicines for a long time. Whereas peripheral arterial access readily allows sampling of arterial blood for arterial blood gas analysis, haematology and biochemistry and can also be used for removal of blood during exchange transfusion.
Bedside echocardiography is often performed on our neonatal unit usually to diagnose or exclude a structural heart defect, but also to evaluate pulmonary haemodynamics and cardiac function. Cranial ultrasonography (cUS) is an excellent tool to detect the most frequently occurring brain abnormalities in preterm and full-term neonates, to study the evolution of lesions, and to follow brain maturation. X-ray examinations of the lungs is an important element in the evaluation of the neonates and their respiratory function. It is often necessary to perform a large number of X-ray examinations depending upon the infant's birthweight, gestational age and respiratory problems.
Peritoneal dialysis is frequently required in NICU, and it is a fundamental, rational, safe and effective renal replacement therapy method in infants with Acute kidney injury and metabolic disorders.
Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) is a means of providing respiratory support to neonates with either upper airway obstruction or respiratory failure. Respiratory failure constitutes either failure of ventilation or failure of lung function.
A partial exchange transfusion is a procedure performed to correct polycythaemia or severe anaemia without hypovolaemia. This can be performed using either the one catheter or two catheter push pull technique.
These lights emit light at wavelengths that are most effectively absorbed by bilirubin and can be customized by using varying proportions of blue, blue-green and green lights. Whereas double volume exchange transfusion is replacing the baby's total blood volume twice, leaving the intravascular amount the same.
Incubators and radiant warmers are used to maintain the body temperature of newborn infants. This is best done so that the energy expended for metabolic heat production is minimized.
High-frequency oscillatory ventilation (HFOV) is a lung-protective strategy that can be utilized in the full spectrum of patient populations ranging from neonatal to adults with acute lung injury.
Patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) is a heart defect that’s present at birth. When the condition is present, a vein that normally closes at birth (the ductus arteriosus) stays open. The result is that oxygen-rich blood that should be circulating into the body instead goes back to the lungs. Cardiac ductal ligation is a procedure to repair this problem.
An advanced facility for treating Neurodevelopmental disorders in children, the expert team of doctors and therapists at the Aster Neurodevelopmental Unit believes in incorporating the latest scientific concepts to empower and enable differently-abled children to be a part of society.
- Assessment of children with developmental and behavioral concerns
- Multi-disciplinary intervention services
- Referrals to community services
- Parental guidance for child development
- Counseling and support for families of children with developmental and behavioral problems
- Liaison with schools on children with learning problems - Placement of children with special needs for training and education
- Collaboration with Primary Health and Community
- Services for early identification of children with developmental and behavioural problems, to facilitate early intervention
- Epilepsy monitoring unit
- Video EEG, nerve conduction and sleep study lab (Electrophysiology lab )
- Dedicated OT for procedures like lumbar puncture, muscle biopsy and Botox administration
- Virtual reality and robotics for rehabilitation
- Neurogenetics and neurometabolic lab
- Neuropathology lab with immunohistochemistry
- Behavioral health
- Occupational therapy
- Orthopaedic surgery
- Plastic surgery
- Physical therapy
- Social work
- Rapid-response team
- Paediatric pain management
- Neurocritical care and trauma center
- Childhood Stroke Program
- Epilepsy clinic
- Ketogenic Diet Clinic
- Tuberous Sclerosis Clinic
- Neurofibromatosis Clinic
- Neuromuscular clinic
- Headache Clinic
- High-risk baby follow up clinic
- Child guidance clinic (ADHD, LD)
- Autism clinic
- Cerebral palsy clinic
The Aster KIND team comprises experts from various subspecialties who with a multidisciplinary approach to provide optimal, evidence-based to children.
- Paediatric Neurologist
- Developmental Paediatrician
- Neuro Ophthalmologist
- Neuro Oncologist
- Child Psychiatrist
- Child Psychologist
- Occupational Therapist
- Developmental Therapist
- Speech and language pathologist
- Play therapist
- Special educators
- Social workers
We offer specialised treatment for children with conditions including:
- Movement disorders
- Mitochondrial and metabolic disorders
- Learning disabilities
- Cerebral palsy
- Neurodevelopmental disabilities - Like Autism and ADHD
- Sleep disorders
- Brain tumors and conditions requiring surgery
- Genetic neurological disorders and rare brain diseases
- Neonatal neurological conditions, even in high-risk newborns
The source of trustworthy health and medical information. Through this section, we provide research-based health information, and all that is happening in Aster Hospital.