Paediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) Aster Medcity offers a dedicated 10 bedded Level 3 Paediatric Intensive Unit equipped with state-of-the-art monitoring and diagnostic equipments. Manned 24/7 by a team internationally trained Paediatric Intensive Care Physicians and Nurses who stand for ethical and evidence based practices, the PICU provides advanced organ support for critically ill children and life-support services including mechanical ventilation like HFOV and Inhaled Nitric Oxide Therapy.
The Unit, for the first time in Kerala, offers Paediatric Intensive Care Retrieval service, where the Retrieval Team, comprising Paediatric Intensive Care Physicians and Nurses triage, stabilise and transport critically ill children in an ambulance that is a Level 3 Paediatric Intensive Care Unit by itself, from peripheral hospitals to Aster Medcity.
The paediatric critical care wing at Aster Medcity is one of the most advanced facilities of its kind in the region. The Level 3 PICU and NICUs here are equipped with state-of-the-art life-support systems including Inhaled Nitric Oxide, total body cooling for HIE and ECMO, to ensure the best possible treatment for critically ill/ injured children. The expert team of paediatric and neonatal critical care ensures highly specialised care for newborns and children who are medically unstable and require mechanical ventilation or single or multi-organ support.
The PICU also offers post-operative care for children who have undergone surgeries, including organ/ cell transplant. Manned 24/7 by Paediatric Intensivists and PALS certified Nurses, these units are closely supervised by the Infection Control Department to check and prevent any possibilities of cross-infection. Aster Medcity is also the first in the region to introduce paediatric intensive care transport and retrieval, with the help of fully equipped ICU ambulances and aeromedical transfer.
- World-class team of Paediatricians, Neonatologists, Paediatric Surgeons & Paediatric Intensivists
- Advanced Paediatric and Neonatal Intensive Care
- Inhaled Nitric Oxide Therapy
- Total Body Cooling for HIE
- ICP, EEG, BIS Monitoring
- Dedicated OR1 Karlstorz Fusion Integrated Paediatric Surgical Suites
- Paediatric Emergency Retrieval & Aeromedical Transfer
- Invasive cardiovascular monitoring and support including extra corporeal life support
- Advanced renal support like CVVH and hemodialysis for children
- Post-operative care for children who have had specialised surgery at Aster Medcity
- Multi-disciplinary in approach we work closely with other Specialities like Oncology, Neurology, Renal, Spinal Surgery, ENT, Respiratory and Endocrinology for Paediatric surgery
- Multi-disciplinary in approach for trauma care with support from specialist teams including Neurosurgery, Paediatric surgery and Paediatric Orthopedics, ENT and Craniofacial surgery
- Round the clock triaging and pre-transport stabilisation advice to assist retrieval
- Zero tolerance for error prescription policy
- 100 % adherence to infection control practices
- Dedicated team to address patient safety and risk management
- Allied services including Respiratory Therapists, Dietician, Clinical Pharmacists and Physiotherapists
- Counselling and Psychosocial services for bystanders and focus for creating a stress free environment during the most difficult period in their lives.
- Basic Life Support training to parents as a part of "Empowering Parents" programme
Want to find out more about the treatment? The answer to your questions can be found below.
What is the purpose of Pediatric Intensive Care Unit?
The PICU is the section of the hospital that provides sick children with the highest level of medical care.In the PICU, kids get intensive nursing care and close monitoring of things like heart rate, breathing, and blood pressure.
What is the difference between ICU and PICU?
The PICU refers to the pediatric intensive care unit. This unit functions the same as an adult ICU; however, it specializes in the treatment of children. These units can be found within a children's hospital or a community/city hospital.
What is PICU in medical?
Paediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)
What kind of patients are in the PICU?
A pediatric intensive care unit, usually abbreviated to PICU, is an area within a hospital specializing in the care of critically ill infants, children, teenagers, and young adults aged 0-21.
What is difference between NICU and PICU?
NICU stands for Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and is an area of the hospital that specializes solely in the treatment of newborns. PICU stands for Pediatric Intensive Care Unit and is where children are taken when they require the highest level of quality pediatric care.