Dr. Veerabhadra Guptha K
Currently working as a Senior Consultant Nephrology, at Aster RV Hospital, Dr Veebhadra Gupta, brings vast experience to the field. He received his M.B.B.S. from JJM Medical College, Davanagere, in 1997, going on to complete an M.D in General Medicine and then DM in Nephrology at B J Medical College, Ahmedabad, in 2003 and 2006, respectively. He then received trained under the renowned Nephrologist, Padmashree Dr H. L. Trivedi, at the Institute of Kidney Diseases and Research Centre, Ahmedabad, a 450-bedded quaternary care centre for renal diseases.
Dr Gupta is the recipient of the prestigious N. P. Shah Gold Medal from Gujarat University in Nephrology, going on to work as an Assistant Professor, Nephrology, at the Institute of Kidney Diseases and Research Centre, Ahmedabad till 2007 and at the Institute of Nephro-Urology, Bangalore, after that, till 2009. During this time, he was actively involved in teaching and training students pursuing DM in Nephrology, MD in General Medicine and the Dialysis Therapy Course.
Dr Gupta’s decorated career includes vast experience in Renal Transplantation, with over 2000 procedures, including deceased donor transplants in highly sensitised patients, pediatric transplants, ABO-incompatible transplants and dual organ transplants. He also has extensive experience in Critical Care Nephrology and General Nephrology, including Geriatric Nephrology, CAPD, Preventive Nephrology, and Glomerulonephritis. To his credit, Dr Gupta has multiple publications in major journals, both national and international.
A member of the Nephrology Association of Karnataka (NAK), the Indian Society of Nephrology (ISN), the Indian Society of Organ Transplantation (ISOT), and the International Society of Nephrology, Dr Gupta has been the primary investigator for many national and international clinical trials. He has also received the Rotary Service Award and the Doctor’s Day Award from Lions Club, Bangalore. He later underwent higher training in Transplantation and Nephrology at the Asan Medical Centre, Seoul, South Korea, and Harvard University, Boston, respectively, and then attended the executive education programme for Nephrologists at IIM, Ahmedabad. Prior to joining Aster RV Hospital, Dr Veerbhadra Gupta worked as Head of the Department of Nephrology, Columbia Asia Hospital, Yeshwantpur, Bangalore.
Dr. Veerabhadra Guptha K completed his MBBS from J.J.M Medical College, Davanagere in 1997. Later, in 2003, obtained MD (General Medicine) from B.J. Medical College, Ahmedabad. He also completed D.M (Nephrology) from the same college in 2006.
Dr. Veerabhadra Guptha K started working as an Intern for 3 months after his MBBS at J.J.M Medical College. Later, he served as Speciality trainer and Assistant Professor in Nephrology at Institute of Kidney Diseases and Research Centre & Institute of Transplantation Sciences, B. J. Medical College, Civil Hospital, Ahmedabad, India. Prior to Aster RV, he was appointed as a senior consultant Nephrologist and Head of the Department of Nephrology at Columbia Asia Hospital. He has also worked as a consultant Nephrologist for various charitable dialysis centres at Bangalore.
Academic Honours & Awards
- Won prestigious university Gold Medal -Shri N.P.Shah Medal in Nephrology for securing 1st rank in Nephrology, Gujarat University, in 2006.
- Recipient of Certificate of Merit in Nephrology from Gujarat University for scoring highest marks.
- Best paper presentation at the International Conference on kidney diseases and transplantation, Ahmedabad, in 2005
- Secured 3rd rank in All India Examinations for the Entrance Examinations for Super speciality Courses in 2003.
- Recipient of Lekhak-MSNL, the Best student of the year from Karnataka state in1989.
- Recipient of Doctors day award from a rotary club of Bangalore.
Conferences & Workshops
- CME on Renal Disorders, 11th November, in 2005
- 16th Annual Conference of Indian Society of Organ Transplantation on 30th Sep- 2nd Oct-2005, Jaipur.
- IV International Congress on Kidney Diseases on12th – 13th November 2005
- Seminar on Cadaver Transplantation,14th May 2006
- CME Renal pathology, 4th October 2006
- Workshop on HLA, 4th October 2006
- Stem Cell Transplantation and Preventive Nephrology on 5th October 2006
- 17th Annual Conference of Indian Society of Organ Transplantation on 6th – 8th October 2006.
- 18th Annual Conference of Indian Society of Organ Transplantation, Bangalore, 2007.
- Annual conference of Indian Society of Nephrology, Pune 2009.
- Annual conference of Indian Society of Nephrology, Trivandrum, 2010
- Nephrology update – Dubai, 2010
- Speciality training for Neuro Physicians at Harvard Medical School/Joslin Diabetic Centre, Boston,2011
- Preceptorship in ABO-Incompatible transplantation & Highly Sensitized Recipient at ASAN Medical Centre, Seoul, South Korea 2011.
- World Congress of Nephrology at Hongkong,2013
- World Transplant Congress at San-Francisco, 2014.
- EDTA- held at Vienna, Austria
- Executive Education Programme at Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad- June 2018.
Publications and Presentations
- Submitted the dissertation entitled “First-Year Morbidity and mortality profile of post renal transplant patients” for the Degree of D.M. in 2006.
- Submitted the dissertation entitled “Clinical study of 50 cases of chronic renal failure” for the Degree of MD in 2003.
- Paper presentation at the IV International Congress on Kidney Diseases – 11th – 13th November 2005- Outcome Of Renal Transplantation In Diabetes Mellitus: Our Experience During Last Year.
- “Donor selection in cadaveric transplantation- Meet the Professors”-Moderator, IV International Congress on Kidney Diseases – 11th – 13th November 2005.
- “Management of anaemia- Iron deficiency anaemia” delivered a lecture in All Gujarat ESIS Doctors Meet, October 2002.
- “Contrast-induced nephropathy” presentation at Ahmedabad Nephrology Forum on 16th Feb 2005.
- “De novo Collapsing Glomerulopathy”- presentation at Ahmedabad Nephrology Forum on 21st Nov 2006.
- Various presentations at Nephrology Association of Karnataka
- AJKD (American Journal Kidney Diseases) -"A Phase IIA, Randomized, Single-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Parallel-Group Study to Evaluate the Safety, Pharmacokinetics, and Efficacy of 28-Day Repeat Oral Doses of a novel hypoxia-inducible factor (HIF)-prolyl hydroxylase inhibitor, GSK1278863, in Anemic Pre-dialysis and Hemodialysis-Dependent Patients: Safety, Tolerability and Non-Hemoglobin Pharmacodynamic Response"
- Contributor to the Everolimus with Reduced Calcineurin Inhibitor Exposure In Renal Transplantation- Journal of American Society of Nephrology- 29,1979-1991, 2018
- Two-stage basilic vein transposition (BVT) in small calibre basilic vein( <3mm) – in INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH- Feb 2019, vol 8, issue 2.
Volunteer & Community Activities
- Volunteer as Medical Officer at the earthquake site of Gujarat in 2001.
- Volunteer as Medical Officer in Pulse Polio Immunisation, Diabetic Camp, Blood Donation Camps.
- Participated in various kidney awareness camps, organ donation camps and various educational camps for the general public.