Dr. Ravi Gopal Varma
Dr. Ravi Gopal Varma, Director - Aster Global Institute of Neurosciences & Lead Consultant - Neurosurgery at Aster Hospitals, is a highly qualified Neurosurgeon with a special interest in Movement Disorders and brings with him more than 25 years of experience.
Dr. Varma has undergone training in all aspects of Functional and Stereotactic Neurosurgery which includes specialized surgery for Epilepsy, Movement Disorders, and Chronic Pain. His surgical expertise covers other branches of neurosurgery including Paediatric, Vascular and Endoscopic Neurosurgery.
He is one of the few neurosurgeons, in India, with the large experience with DBS surgery for Parkinson’s disease. Before joining Aster Hospitals, the doctor had been instrumental in setting up and running the highly successful Institute of Neurosciences at M. S. Ramaiah Medical College and Hospital, where he was Professor and Head of Neurosurgery since 2008.
- Established the MCh program to train Postgraduate doctors in Neurosurgery at the Institute of Neurosciences, MSRMC, Bangalore.
- Established a fully functional and successful Movement Disorder Program at M.S.Ramaiah Medical College, Bangalore.
- Initiated a DBS program for the treatment of Parkinson’s disease at NIMS, Hyderabad.
- Initiated a DBS program for the treatment of Parkinson’s Disease at KEM Hospital, Mumbai.
- Initiated a DBS program in Apollo Hospital, Hyderabad.
- Was selected for a DBS workshop with advanced training in the Netherlands, as a part of a prestigious Indo-Canadian collaboration.
- Organized the first International Workshop on Surgery for Movement Disorders at M.S. Ramaiah Memorial Hospital, Bangalore. It was the first time in the world that a live DBS surgery was relayed to an interactive forum.
- Served as Member of the Board of Studies, NIMHANS, for a tenure of 3 years.
- Was invited as Guest Speaker at Hindustan Times Leadership Summit, New Delhi, where he shared the dais with other dignitaries like HH. Dalai Lama, Dr. Manmohan Singh, Al Gore and the RT. Hon. Gordon Brown. He is the first Neurosurgeon to be invited to speak at the HT Summit, where he spoke on “Unravelling the Brain’s Enigmas”.
- Designated Visiting Professor at the Raman Research Institute.
- Dr. Varma also has the distinction of having conducted the first successful DBS surgery for Neuroacanthosis in India and third in the world.