Dr. M S Somanna
With 15 years of experience in the field , Dr. M.S. Somanna is a Consultant Joint Replacement and Arthroscopic Surgeon at the best orthopaedic hospital in Bangalore - Aster CMI. He is skilled in arthroscopy of knee, shoulder, arthroplasty and regenerative medicine with special emphasis on stem cell-based cartilage repair. His interest lies in joint replacement surgery, cartilage repair, sports injuries, and shoulder surgeries. He has worked at several renowned private hospitals before joining Aster CMI Hospital.
Dr. Somanna has graduated from Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore. He has his MS in Orthopedics. He has a Fellowship in adult joint reconstruction and has been awarded Fellowship in arthroscopic surgery and sports medicine by OASI, Bioresearch Foundation, Milan, Italy.
Dr. Somanna has been an active participant in attending several conferences and seminars. He has attended many workshops and talks, and presented papers and abstracts.
- Sports Injury
- Shoulder surgery
- Cartilage repair
- Arthroscopy of knee
- Regenerative medicine with special emphasis on stem cell-based cartilage repair
- Fellowship in adult joint reconstruction
- Fellowship in arthroscopic surgery and sports medicine by OASI, Bioresearch Foundation, Milan, Italy.
- Indian orthopaedic association,
- Indian arthroscopy society,
- Shoulder and Elbow Society of India
- Indian cartilage society
- Platelet Rich Plasma treatment in operated and non-operated patients with knee osteoarthritis: Preliminary results in a group of active population’ Alberto Gobbi, Georgios Karnatzikos, Vivek Mahajan, Somanna Malchira, Sports Health, September 2011.
- “A rare case of isolated fracture of trochlea- A Case Report” published in the journal of orthopaedics 2008;5(3)e5. URL: http://www.jortho.org/2008/5/3/e5
- “Platelet rich plasma (PRP) in osteoarthritis – our early experience” Alberto Gobbi, Somanna Malchira, GeorgiosKarnatzikos ICRS Newsletter – published Summer 2011
- ‘A study On the Value of Clinical Examination; in Comparison to MRI in Meniscal and Ligament Injuries of the Knee--Published in the Journal of Orthopedic Association of South Indian States- 2006.
- ‘Clinical Application of Platelet Rich Plasma- The way we see it’ Alberto Gobbi, Ramon Cugat Somanna Malchira, GeorgiosKarnatzikos, ISAKOS newsletter, volume 2, 2011.
- ‘Techniques of Cartilage Repair in athletes’ Gobbi A., Karnatzikos G., Malchira S., Turgeon D.Minerva Ortopedica e Traumatologica 2011 August;62(4):297-309
- ‘Platelet Rich Plasma in Osteoarthritis’ Gobbi A., Malchira S., Karnatzikos G. Minerva Ortopedica e Traumatologica 2011 October;62(5):331-6
- Presented a paper titled “valgus angle following computer assisted TKA-A Radiographic Study” at the Combined 33rd SICOT & 17th PAOA Orthopaedic World Conference, Dubai, November 2012
- Presented a paper titled “All Arthroscopic vs mini open rotator cuff repair- a short term outcome analysis” at the free paper session of the Annual Karnataka Orthopaedic Association Conference, Bangalore 2010.
- Osteochondral Patello-Femoral Lesions Treated With One Step Surgery Using Bone Marrow Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells: Results at Three Years (SS-26) Alberto W. Gobbi, Anup Kumar, Somanna Malchira, Georgios Karnatzikos; Arthroscopy: the journal of arthroscopic & related surgery (volume 28 issue 6 Page e15 DOI: 10.1016/j.arthro.2012.04.086) Use of Platelet Rich Plasma in Early Osteoarthritis: Results at Two Years of Follow-up, (SS-63) Alberto W. Gobbi, Anup Kumar, Somanna Malchira, Georgios Karnatzikos Arthroscopy: the journal of arthroscopic & related surgery(volume 28 issue 6 Page e33 DOI: 10.1016/j.arthro.2012.04.121)