One of the most advanced gastroenterology hospital in Ernakulam, the Department of Gastroenterology at Aster Medcity offers highly specialised Medical Gastroenterology and Surgical Gastroenterology services for comprehensive management of diseases and disorders of the digestive system in adults and children.
Designed to function like an independent hospital, the Centre has an outpatient division, an inpatient division, a day care unit, a state-of-the-art diagnostic / interventional radiology unit, dedicated surgical and transplant suites, ICUs and a 24-hour emergency wing to handle all medical and surgical emergencies.
The world-class medical team comprising highly-acclaimed Medical Gastroenterologists, Surgical Gastroenterologists, Hepatologists, Hepato Pancreato Biliary & Abdominal Multi-Organ Transplant Surgeons, Gastrointestinal Oncologists, Interventional Radiologists, Nuclear Physicists and Pathologists provides evidence-based, multidisciplinary treatment to patients, with the support of speciality-trained Nurses, Rehabilitation Therapists and Technicians.
Aster Centre of Excellence in Gastroenterology offers a wide range of diagnostic and therapeutic medical technology to ensure high-precision diagnosis, accurate treatment and the best possible outcomes.
Aster Medcity is the first hospital in the world to perform a simultaneous live-donor liver and kidney transplant on a 20-month old toddler weighing just 7 kilograms.
We have some of the best specialists from around the world, they bring years of experience and offer evidence based treatment to ensure the best care for you.
We provide comprehensive treatment for all types diseases under one roof. Our highly experienced doctors supported by especially trained clinical staff, ensure the best care for you.
Well equipped with the latest medical equipment, modern technology & infrastructure, Aster Hospital is one of the best hospitals in India.
ORI Fusion Digital Integrated Operation Theatres With 22 Operating Rooms that are on par with some of the largest in the world, Aster Medcity, for the first time South India, introduces ORI Fusion Digital Integrated Operation Theatres using Karlstorz OR1 Fusion - Asia Pacific’s first complete digital integration system.
The integration enables real-time sharing of images, videos and medical reports, which not only facilitates virtual participation from any location in the world but also helps the rest of the surgical team to monitor the patient closely during the operative procedure, much to the benefit and safety of the patient undergoing the surgery.
Aster Medcity is also the first surgical facility in the state to offer Robotic Surgery using a high-precision da Vinci Surgery Robot.
- PACS, HIS, and video recording integrated for single monitor control by Surgeons
- Each Operating Room has 3 cameras and 6 monitors for Doctors to monitor patient parameters and the surgical procedures
- Operative procedures can be transmitted live to various locations within and outside the Hospital
- Facilities for interactive sessions during operation through live transmission of the procedure
- Doctors can join the Surgical team and monitor the patient from any location outside the hospital
- Da Vinci Surgical Robot for performing minimally invasive Robotic Surgery
- State-of-the-art engineering techniques to maintain positive pressure within operating rooms along with heap filters to reduce infections
- Individual air handling unit for each Operating Room
- Equipped with Isocentric C Arm
- Advanced facilities to monitor including depth of Anaesthesia, Neuromuscular Monitoring, Transcranial Doppler and 3D Echocardiogram
- High-end Anaesthesia workstation with precision delivery of Anaesthetic gases
- Autopilot facility Anaesthesia machines
- Capability to export information to all ICUs within the hospital
- Induction bay with facilities for parents to be with children during induction of Anaesthesia
- As all Operating Rooms here are approximate of the same size, they can accommodate a variety of equipment- surgical, as well as those for ensuring the safety and protection of the patient
- Stringent Infection Control measures followed under the surveillance of experienced Doctors
- Perioperative anesthetic care
- Anesthesia for solid organ transplant
- Invasive monitoring of deep hypothermic circulatory arrest and associated techniques
- Anesthetic support for SSEP and MEP
- Anesthesia for infants, neonates, and children
- Anesthesia for craniofacial reconstructive and cosmetic surgery
- Labor analgesia and obstetric Anaesthesia
- Regional anesthetic techniques with ultrasound and PNS
- Transesophageal echocardiography
- Fiber optic bronchoscopy
- Difficult intubation maneuvers
- Intar aortic balloon support
- Inotropes vasodilators and vasopressors
- ECMO and LVAD assistance
- Neuro monitoring: BIS, NIRS, neuromuscular monitoring, TCD
- Special anesthetic techniques for awake craniotomies
- Blood conservative measures
Seamless Team Work
The ORI Fusion Digital Integration system in the Operating Rooms helps create a workflow that’s seamless by enabling virtual participation of Doctors in the procedure, from whichever part of the world they are in at that point in time. As all medical reports and image modalities including the operation procedure can be transmitted live to any location inside or outside the hospital, Doctors can become a part of the Surgery Team on a real-time basis, wherein they can interact with Surgeons in the OR, closely monitor the procedure as well as patient parameters and contribute their expert suggestions.
- Karl Storz OR1 Fusion Technology
- Single monitor control enabled through integration of PAC, HIS & Video Recording
- Live to share all image modalities & medical reports
- 3 cameras and 6 monitors in every OR.
Aster Medcity understands that the time of surgery is stressful for the family of the Patient as well, which is why the bystander’s waiting lounge has been designed in such a way that it provides a calming, comforting ambiance
Scenic view of the backwaters from the visitor's lounge, Recliner Chairs, Cafeteria
Guest Relation Team who updates the bystanders on patient’s progress at regular intervals and ensures a warm, hospitable atmosphere.
Want to find out more about the treatment? The answer to your questions can be found below.
What is Obesity?
Obesity is a complex disease characterized by abnormal or excessive accumulation of fat in body that may impair health. People who have obesity are prone to develop heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure and cancer.
What are the causes of Obesity?
The primary cause of obesity is the energy imbalance between calories consumed and calories expended. Overweightness is commonly caused by over eating and sedentary lifestyle. For instance, if you consume high amounts of energy, particularly fat and sugars, but do not burn off the energy through exercise and physical activity, much of the surplus energy will be stored by the body as fat.
Factors that can lead to obesity are,
Increased intake of energy-dense foods that are high in fat and sugars
Decrease in physical activity due to the increasingly sedentary nature of work
Environmental and societal changes associated with development
Lack of supportive policies in health, agriculture, environment, food processing and education
Diseases – Hypothyroidism, Chronic stress, Insomnia & Hypersomnia
What are the diseases associated with obesity?
There are several ailments associated with overweightness, an obese person has more chance to develop other disease conditions such as,
Cardiovascular diseases - Ischemic Heart Disease and Stroke
Insulin Resistance & Diabetes Mellitus
Obstructive Sleep Apnoea & Hypoventilation Syndrome
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease - NASH – CLD
PCOS & Infertility
Musculoskeletal disorders - Osteoarthritis
Cancers - Endometrium, Breast, Kidney, Liver, Prostate, Esophagus, Colon.
The risk for these diseases increases with increase in BMI.
What are the treatments available for obesity?
The aim of the obesity treatment is to maintain a healthy Body mass index (BMI) to prevent many other diseases associated with obesity. Following a healthy dietary pattern and regular physical activity helps in sustaining overall health.
Is bariatric procedure safe?
Yes, it is relatively safe procedure with the help of cutting-edge modern technology and experienced medical team at Aster Medcity, Kochi
Are there any side effects of undergoing bariatric surgery?
The side effects of bariatric surgery are relatively lesser compared to the health issues that you suffer from obesity. Some side effects may include general weakness, malnutrition, temporally hair loss. You can overcome these issues by following the guidelines from dietitian and doctor.
What are the diets to be followed after bariatric surgery?
Your dietitian will help you to follow an ideal dietary plan. Usually the diet includes foods rich in protein, vitamins, minerals, also it is important to manage the fluid intake to keep hydrated.
How obesity can be identified?
The ideal way to measure obesity is by calculating Body mass index (BMI) of a person. BMI is defined as a person's weight in kilograms divided by the square of his height in meters (kg/m2). Increased BMI shows high body fatness.
Do Genetic reasons cause obesity?
Genetic predisposition is one of the reasons for obesity, it is a well-known and currently proven fact. Around 43% of the general population is susceptible to become obese due to genetic factors.
Is obesity curable?
Obesity is a progressive and relapsing chronic disease which can be either prevented or reduced by losing weight by following a healthy dietary pattern and regular regimen of exercise.
What is bariatric surgery?
It is a surgical intervention to promote weight loss by making changes to your digestive system. Decreasing the size of the stomach creates a feeling of fullness when you eat.
When to opt for bariatric surgery, am I the ideal candidate?
Bariatric procedures are suggested to you if other weight management measures are failed and you suffer from obesity related health conditions
When should I be able to do exercise after bariatric surgery?
About 150 minutes of weekly exercises are suggested after the procedure, moderate activities like walking and jogging can be done depending on the individual’s health condition.
When would I be able to return to work after bariatric surgery?
Usually, it may take up to one to two weeks to return to work, depending on the type of procedure that you undergo.
The source of trustworthy health and medical information. Through this section, we provide research-based health information, and all that is happening in Aster Hospital.