An expert in Complex High-Risk Indicated Procedures (CHIP), Dr. Rajasekhar Varma has achieved a documented 91% success rate in Chronic Total Occlusion (CTO) Angioplasty in the last five years. This is unheard of in the region and is on par with the best in the field. In fact, it complies with the Gold Standards in Japan. Dr. Varma is an alumnus of the Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER), Pondicherry. He has earned a Doctorate of Medicine (DM) in Cardiology, a Doctor of Medicine (MD) in General Medicine, and an MBBS degree from the institute. Complex anatomic coronary lesions (PCI), structural heart interventions, and aortic interventions are among his areas of expertise. He has earned several awards and accolades in his 14-year long career, participated at various national and international conferences, and been a faculty at several continuing medical education (CME) workshops. His research works have been published in international peer-reviewed journals.
- Complex PCI - especially Left Main Angioplasty, Chronic Total Occlusion, Bifurcation lesions Radial Angioplasty
- Rotablation assisted PCI, Imaging guided PCI (OCT/IVUS)
- Balloon valvotomy (PTMC, BAV, BPV, BTV)
- Pacemakers, ICDs, CRT
- Structural heart interventions including Device closures of ASD, VSD, PDA,Balloon valvotomy, TAVR, etc
- Aortic interventions including hybrid procedures and stent graft for aortic aneurysms/dissections
- 91% success rate in CTO Angioplasty over the last 5 years, which is equal to the Gold Standards in Japan
- Academic Awards & Accolades:
- First rank in MD - General Medicine, JIPMER
- Among the top 5 students of final MBBS 1995 batch at JIPMER
- “Nallam Satiyanarayanamma” Gold Medal for securing the first place in the MD in General Medicine - Pondicherry University held during March 2000.
- N Abdoul Cader @ Ibrahime Memorial Prize in Neurology - year 2000
- Awarded MOH Hassan Kuthoos Marikkar Endowment Prize in Cardiology - 1996
- Awarded JIPMER Scientific Society Best Paper Award - 2000-2001.
- JIPMER Alumni Award for Best All-round Undergraduate Medical Student – 1996
- Faculty at various national and international conferences, workshops and CMEs
- Published research articles in international peer reviewed journals