Save a life by registering as a blood stem cell donor

Posted on : Sep 30, 2021


For patients with blood cancer, a stem cell transplant from a matching donor could be their last chance of survival. The support of people like you can help them find their matching stem cell donor. To support the stem cell registry, Aster CMI Hospital has launched a donor registration campaign by inviting people to register as stem cell donors. In addition to all Aster employees who registered themselves as a stem cell donor, the drive is open for all general public who want to grab the opportunity of registering themselves as stem cell donors and relieve India from the burden of blood cancer and blood-related disorder.

Aster CMI, in association with DATRI, a non-profit organisation, is working towards creating a massive database of potential blood stem cell donors by inspiring dedicated people.

In India, every year, nearly 2,000 stem cell transplantation takes place, but we need around 80,000 to 1,00,000 annual transplants to tackle the enormous burden of blood cancers and fatal blood disorders. In addition to motivating people for registering themselves as blood stem cell donor, Aster CMI is also aimed to bust several myths related to stem cell donation. The drive also aimed to spread awareness among Indians regarding the importance of stem cell donation.

Each individual can support the stem cell registry in many ways. Currently, India has only about 4 lakh donors registered on a stem cell registry. Because of the small database of donors in India, the chances of getting a matching donor is very low. Only 30 percent of patients who need a bone marrow transplant have a matching donor in their families. The remaining 70 percent of patients seek help from a national registry. Moreover, to have a successful match, both donor and patient must have an HLA match depending on the type of transplant. Unlike blood donation, not many are registered as stem cell donors. Hence, Aster CMI, in association with DATRI, is making an effort to raise awareness among the general public about being a stem cell donor, can contribute a lot.

How to register yourself as a stem cell donor?

Join us and be a part of a stem cell registry by following these simple steps:

  • Fill a registration form and consent form, followed by a cheek swab

  • The cell sample submitted by you is then sent to a lab to determine the Human Leukocyte Antigen (HLA) type and saved in the registry database

  • You will stay on the register until you are at the grand age of 60

This action can help you get the rare opportunity to give a ray of hope to people with blood cancer. Aster CMI with DATRI will help you at every stage of your donation and make your journey safe and straightforward.

About Aster DM Healthcare

Aster DM Healthcare is a leading integrated healthcare service providers operating in multiple GCC states and is an emerging healthcare player in India. We are packed with the top doctors in Bangalore. With an inherent emphasis on primary, secondary, tertiary and quaternary healthcare through its 24 hospitals, 116 clinics and 219 pharmacies, Aster DM Healthcare provides highly specialised, modern diagnostic services to their patient. Our team has 18,700+ top doctors from across the geographies who are aimed at delivering their promise: “We’ll treat you well.” We reach out to all economic segments in the GCC states through our differentiated healthcare services across the “Aster”, “Medcare” and “Access” brands.

One Aster

Personalized Medical Assistant for all your healthcare needs.
Book instant appointment, pay securely, eConsult with our doctors and save all your health records at one place are some of the benefits of OneAster App. It is everything you need, to manage your family Health.


Scan QR Code To Download

* Registration available only for valid Indian mobile number