Dr. Sagar Bhattad
Dr. Sagar Bhattad is the first DM super-specialist in the field of Pediatric Clinical Immunology and Rheumatology in India. He received his training under the mentorship of Prof. Surjit Singh at the prestigious Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh. He has been awarded a Silver medal for MD Pediatrics and Major Gen Amir Chand Gold medal for his research on complement deficiency in Pediatric lupus.
He has vast experience in the diagnosis and treatment of Primary Immune Deficiency disorders. He is well known amongst the medical fraternity for his passion for Immune deficiencies and has delivered numerous lectures and presentations in various forums. Having received extensive training in Clinical and Laboratory Immunology at PGI, Chandigarh, he has been instrumental in setting up the center of excellence in Immunology at Aster CMI hospital. Foundation for Primary Immune Deficiency (FPID), an international organization based in the US has recognized the “Pediatric Immunology and Bone marrow transplant” department at Aster CMI as the Centre of Excellence for the diagnosis and management of Primary Immune Deficiencies. This is a unique affiliation conferred to a handful of centers across India. The Pediatric Bone Marrow Transplant Unit at Aster CMI has performed one of the largest numbers of transplants in Immune deficiencies in the country and Dr. Sagar envisages building the largest Immunology Centre in South India providing low-cost diagnostic and transplant services to every child with Immune deficiency.
Dr. Sagar Bhattad’s interest in the field of Pediatric Rheumatology led him to Gaslini Institute at Genoa, Italy. This is the largest referral center for Pediatric Rheumatology in Europe. As an observer, he had the opportunity to learn about several novel rheumatologic diseases including auto-inflammatory diseases. This center in Italy has the largest collection of auto-inflammatory diseases in the world. He has a special interest in the diagnosis and management of Kawasaki disease and has a large cohort of children with Kawasaki disease under follow-up.
He has written more than twenty-five articles for such peer-reviewed journals as International Journal of Rheumatic Diseases, Journal of Clinical Immunology, Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology, Rheumatology International, Indian Journal of Paediatrics, Indian Paediatrics, etc to name a few. He is also a reviewer for the International Journal of Rheumatic Diseases and the European Journal of Rheumatology. In addition, he has made several presentations at professional conferences and symposia at the national and international levels.
- Primary Immune Deficiency disorders
- Kawasaki disease
- Juvenile Arthritis
- Pediatric lupus
- Rheumatologic diseases in children and adolescents
- Auto-inflammatory diseases
- Singh S, Bhattad S, Danda D. Genetics of juvenile idiopathic arthritis. Int J Rheum Dis 2014 Mar;17(3):233-6.
- Saini AG, Sankhyan N, Bhattad S, Vyas S, Saikia B, Singhi P. CNS vasculitis and stroke in neonatal lupus erythematosus: a case report and review of the literature. Eur J Paediatr Neurol 2014 May;18(3):444-8
- Singh S, Bhattad S. Advances in pediatric rheumatology April 2013–March 2014. Int J Rheum Dis 2014 Jun; 17(5): 593-4
- Bhattad S, Rawat A, Suri D, Gupta A, Saikia B, Minz RW, Sodhi KS, Singh S. Budd-Chiari syndrome in a child with leukocyte adhesion deficiency - a rare association". Pediatr Blood and Cancer 2015;62(12):2244
- Singh S, Bhattad S. Recent advances in pediatric rheumatology. Int J Rheum Dis 2015 Jun;18(5):568-9
- Sharma P, Arthi N, Bhattad S, Vaiphei K. Cystic fibrosis in a retro-positive child. Indian J Pathol Microbiol 2015 Apr-Jun;58(2):204-10
- Bhattad S, Gupta A, Suri D, Sharma D, Sinha A, Singh S. Piriformis syndrome in a young child – an unusual clinical entity. Indian J Pediatr 2015 Aug 21 [Epub ahead of print]
- Singh S, Bhattad S, Gupta A, Suri D, Rawat A, Rohit M. Mortality in children with Kawasaki disease: 20 years of experience from a tertiary care center in North India. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2015 Nov 17 [Epub ahead of print]
- Singh S, Bhattad S, Sharma D, Philip S. Recent Advances in Kawasaki Disease - Proceedings of the 3rd Kawasaki Disease Summit, Chandigarh, 2014. Indian J Pediatr.2015 Aug 30. [Epub ahead of print]
- Bhattad S, Rawat A, Gupta A, Suri D, Garg R, de Boer M, Kuijpers TW, Singh S. Early Complement Component Deficiency in a Single-Centre Cohort of Pediatric Onset Lupus. J Clin Immunol. 2015 Nov;35(8):777-85
- Sharma A, Gupta A, Mitra S, Nada R, Bhattad S, Singh S. Systemic Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis with Amyloidosis: An uncommon complication with a favorable outcome. Indian J Pediatr 2015 Oct 7. [Epub ahead of print]
- Rawat A, Bhattad S, Singh S. Chronic Granulomatous Disease. Indian J Pediatr. 2016 Feb 11. [Epub ahead of print]
- Bhattad S, Vignesh P, Rawat A, Suri D, Gupta A, Vyas S, Singh S. Spondylodiscitis in a Boy with X-linked Agammaglobulinemia: an Unusual Occurrence. J Clin Immunol. 2016 Mar 10. [Epub ahead of print]
- Singh S, Agarwal S, Bhattad S, Gupta A, Suri D, Rawat A, Singhal M, Rohit M. Kawasaki disease in infants below 6 months: a clinical conundrum? Int J Rheum Dis. 2016 Mar 16. [Epub ahead of print]
- Vignesh P, Bhattad S, Singhal M, Singh S. A 5-year-old boy with only fever and giant coronary aneurysms: the enigma of Kawasaki disease? Rheumatol Int. 2016 May 6. [Epub ahead of print]
- Vignesh P, Bhattad S, Shandilya JK, Vyas S, Garg R, Rawat A. Vertebral Osteomyelitis and Acinetobacter Spp. Paravertebral Soft Tissue Infection in a 4-Year-Old Boy with X-Linked Chronic Granulomatous Disease. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2016 May 12. [Epub ahead of print]
- Sharma A, Bhattad S, Kumar P. Prevalence of hypertension & prehypertension among school children. Indian J Med Res. 2016 Mar;143(3):376
- Suri D, Sharma A, Bhattad S, Rawat A, Arora S, Minz RW, Singh S. Arthritis in childhood human immunodeficiency virus infection predominantly associated with human leukocyte antigen B27. Int J Rheum Dis. 2016 Jul 26. [Epub ahead of print]
- Singh S, Bhattad S. Kawasaki disease incidence at Chandigarh, North India, during 2009-2014. Rheumatol Int. 2016 Aug 4. [Epub ahead of print]
- Suri D, Bhattad S, Gupta A, Trehan A, Bansal D, Rajwanshi A, Das A, Rawat A, Singh S. Malignancies in Children with Human Immunodeficiency Virus Infection - Our Experience at Chandigarh, North India. J Trop Pediatr. 2017; 63(3):210-216
- Nada R, Matthews JL, Bhattad S, Gupta A, Singh S. Necrotizing Polyarteritis Nodosa-like Vasculitis in a Child with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. Indian Pediatr. 2017;54(2):139-144
- Suri D, Bhattad S, Sharma A, Gupta A, Rawat A, Sehgal S, Singh S, Gupta S. Serial serum immunoglobulin (IgG) trough levels in patients with X-linked Agammaglobulinemia on replacement therapy with intravenous immunoglobulin: its Correlation with Infections in Indian Children. J Clin Immunol. 2017;37(3):311-318.
- Vijayvergiya R, Bhattad S, Varma S, Singhal M, Gordon J, Singh S. Presentation of missed childhood Kawasaki disease in adults: Experience from a tertiary care center in north India. Int J Rheum Dis. 2017; 20(8):1023-1027
- H Vinayak, Sujith Kumar T, GV Basavaraj, Bhattad S. Bilateral extensive CMV retinitis in a sick child – harbinger of severe combined immunodeficiency. JPCC 2017 [Epub ahead of print].
- Rawat A, Sharma M, Bhattad S, Suri D, Gupta A, et al. C1QA gene mutations in a pediatric SLE cohort from North India, Molecular Immunology, Volume 89, 2017, Page 117, ISSN 0161-5890, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molimm.2017.06.044.
- Jindal AK, Bhattad S, Suri D, Singhal M, Gupta A, Singh P. Moyamoya Syndrome in a Child with HIV-1 Infection. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2018 Jun;37(6).
- Chari PS, Chandra P, Prasad S, Bhattad S. Chronic granulomatous disease presenting with small bone osteomyelitis in a young child: A case report. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 2018 Oct-Dec;61(4):557-560
- Rikhi R, Bhattad S, Jindal A, Saikia B, Garg R, Rawat A, Suri D, Singh S. Monoclonal Gammopathy of Unclear Significance in a Child with Wiskott-Aldrich Syndrome: a Rare Occurrence. J Clin Immunol. 2019; 39(1):7-10
- Bhattad S, Dinakar C, Pinnamaraju H, Ganapathy A, Mannan A. Chronic Mucocutaneous Candidiasis in an Adolescent Boy Due to a Novel Mutation in TRAF3IP2. J Clin Immunol. 2019; 39(6):596-599
- Bhattad S. Mendelian Susceptibility to Mycobacterial Disease: A Clinical and Laboratory Approach. Ped Inf Dis. 2019; 1(1):34-36
- Bhattad S. Primary Immune Deficiency. Pediatr Inf Dis.2019;1(2):68-69
- Bhattad S. “When to Suspect Primary Immune Deficiency in Office Practice?”. Acta Scientific Paediatrics. 2019; 10 (2): 128-130
- Raj E, Zainab S, Bhattad S, Ginigeri C, D Mahesh. Nutritional Challenges and Management in DiGeorge Syndrome. Acta Scientific Nutritional Health. 2019; 12 (3): 73-77
- Bhattad S. Lymphopenia and Immune Deficiency: Eyes See Only What the Mind Knows! Pediatr Inf Dis 2019;1(4):169–170
- Bhattad S. Neutrophil Counts—Too Less and Too Many—Both Can Be Immune Deficiency. Pediatr Inf Dis 2019;1(3):120–122.
- Shinde S, Chinnappa J, Shenoy B, Kaur T, Bhattad S. Think out of the box! Pediatric onset adult Sarcoidosis in a young child presenting as Pyrexia of unknown origin. Int J Clin Rheumatol. 2020; 15(4): 131-132
- Bhattad S. B-cell Defects: A Clinical and Immunological Approach. Pediatr Inf Dis 2020;2(1):36–38
- Shenoy B, Singh S, Ahmed MZ, Pal P, Balan S, Viswanathan V, Bhattad S, Rao AP, Chaudhuri M, Shastri DD, Soans ST. Indian Academy of Pediatrics Position Paper on Kawasaki Disease. Indian Pediatr. 2020 Nov 15;57(11):1040-1048.
- Sharma A, Naidu G, Sharma V, Jha S, Dhooria A, Dhir V, Bhatia P, Sharma V, Bhattad S, et al. Deficiency of Adenosine Deaminase 2 in Adults and Children: Experience From India. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2020 Sep 6.
- Bhattad S, Unni J, Varkey S. MSMD in a 3-Generation Multiplex Kindred Due to Autosomal Dominant STAT1 Deficiency. J Clin Immunol. 2021 Jan;41(1):259-261.
- Yadav RM, Gupta M, Dalvi A, Bargir UA, Hule G, Bhattad S, et al. Prenatal Diagnosis for Primary Immunodeficiency Disorders-An Overview of the Indian Scenario. Front Immunol. 2020 Dec 7;11: 612316.
- Kambli PM, Bargir UA, Yadav RM, Gupta MR, Dalvi AD, Bhattad S, Ramprakash S, Cp Raghuram et al. Clinical and Genetic Spectrum of a Large Cohort of Patients With Leukocyte Adhesion Deficiency Type 1 and 3: A Multicentric Study From India. Front Immunol. 2020 Dec 16;11:612703.
- Rawat A, Jindal AK, Suri D, Pandiarajan V, Gupta Anju, Saikia Biman, Bhattad S, et al. Clinical and Genetic Profile of X-Linked Agammaglobulinemia: A Multicenter Experience From India. Front Immunol. 2021 Jan 15; 11: 612323
- Vignesh P, Rawat A, Kumrah R, Singh A, Bhattad S, Ramprakash S, CP Raghuram, et al. Clinical, immunological and molecular features of Severe Combined Immune Deficiency: A multi-institutional experience from India. Front Immunol. (Provisionally accepted).
- Rawat A, Vignesh P, Sudhakar M, Bhattad S, Ginigeri C, Kumar H, et al. Clinical, immunological and molecular profile of Chronic granulomatous disease: A multi-centric study of 236 patients from India. Front Immunol. (Provisionally accepted).
- Saikia B, Rawat A, Minz RW, Suri D, Pandiarajan V, Jindal A, Bhattad S, et al. Clinical Profile of Hyper-IgE Syndrome in India. Front Immunol. 2021 Feb 26;12:626593.
- Suri D, Rikhi R, Jindal AK, Rawat A, Sudhakar M, Vignesh P, Bhattad S, et al. Wiskott Aldrich Syndrome: A Multi-Institutional Experience From India. Front Immunol. 2021 Apr 16;12:627651.
- Suri D, Rawat A, Jindal AK, Vignesh P, Gupta A, Pilania RK, Bhattad S, et al. Spectrum of Systemic Auto-Inflammatory Diseases in India: A Multi-Centric Experience. Front Immunol. 2021 Mar 19;12:630691.
- Taur PD, Gowri V, Pandrowala AA, Iyengar VV, Chougule A, Golwala Z, , Bhattad S, et al. Clinical and Molecular Findings in Mendelian Susceptibility to Mycobacterial Diseases: Experience From India. Front Immunol. 2021 Feb 25;12:631298.
- Bhattad S, Raghuram CP, Porta F, Ramprakash S. Successful Haploidentical Transplant Using Post-Transplant Cyclophosphamide in a Child with Chronic Granulomatous Disease-First Report from the Indian Subcontinent. J Clin Immunol. 2021 May;41(4):820-824.
- Bhattad S, Gupta S, Israni N, Mohanty S. Profile of Kawasaki disease at a tertiary care center in India. Ann Pediatr Cardiol. 2021 Apr-Jun;14(2):187-191.
- Jindal AK, Patra P, Guleria S, Gupta A, Bhattad S, Rawat A, Suri D, Pandiarajan V, Bishnoi A, Dogra S, Singh S. Clinical profile, long-term follow-up and outcome of juvenile systemic scleroderma: 25 years of clinical experience from North-West India. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2021 Jul-Aug;39 Suppl 131(4):149-156.
- Mohite RS, Kotecha U, Bhattad S. Familial Cold Autoinflammatory Syndrome Type 1. Indian J Pediatr. 2021 Aug;88(8):834.
- Joseph R, Mohite RS, Ginigeri C, Kumar H, Ka Sudheer, Bhattad S. Hypogammaglobulinemia and periodic fevers – Think of TRNT1 deficiency! Pediatr Hematol Oncol Journal,2021, ISSN 24681245,https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phoj.2021.06.002
Authored a book "Primary Immune Deficiencies Made Simple"
This book presents a clinical approach to diagnosis to various Primary Immunodeficiency diseases. It has been well acknowledged by the pediatric fraternity and medical residents for its simplicity of presentation and its utility in day-to-day practice. As a result of heightened awareness, many children are now being timely diagnosed and treated.