Know your teeth problems :
Tooth decay, gum disease, bad breath, trauma or even cancer…problems that affect the mouth can be many. So the first step to maintaining good oral hygiene is to visit a dentist who will tell you what exactly you need to do to keep your gums and teeth healthy.
Avoid what’s bad:
- Smoking - As it not stains the teeth yellow/ brown and also affects the health of gums by harming the tissue, weakening the bone that supports the teeth and increasing the risk of tooth loss.
- Too much sugar / soda - As it can can cause tooth decay. Sugar increases bacterial activity and in turn acidity, causing plague formation and corrosion of the enamel and gums. So make sure you wash your mouth well/ brush after eating sugary foods. Same with soda/ carbonated drinks.
- Protection from injury - Be careful when you engage in outdoor activities/ sports. Sometimes even a minor fall can cause you a tooth.
Maintaing oral health :
- Follow the 3 step regime - brushing, flossing and rinsing - without fail
- Use good quality toothbrush and toothpaste.
- When brushing, hold the toothbrush at a 45 degree angle and brush in circular motions.
- Change the toothbrush at regular intervals. Never use a toothbrush that will injure your gums.
- Floss the right way, regularly.
- Use a good tongue scraper every morning to remove tongue plaque - a major cause for bad breath is bacteria build up on the tongue.
- Use mouth wash to gargle your mouth everyday
Consult a doctor