Renal stone disease is a very common condition affecting all age groups. It is very important to be aware and careful about your kidney health and take appropriate measures to safeguard your kidneys.
Let’s look at possible causes of Renal stone disease
- People consuming less of fluids, Especially in dry and hot climate is predominant cause
- Family history or prior episodes of calculus
- Certain conditions like PCKD and renal tubular acidosis
- People with high uric acid levels, Gout
- Certain congenital abnormalities of kidneys
- High intake of calcium rich foods, coupled with poor hydration
- Certain vitamin deficiencies.
Symptoms of stone disease
Most common presentation is
- Pain abdomen-usually starting from back and radiating to anterior ,or to the testicles
- Fever & chills
- Blood in urine
- Difficulty in passing urine in case of Bladder stones
- Complete stoppage of urine in case of stones in both kidneys
- Stones can also be present without any symptoms
How to diagnose Kidney stones
- Most common and widely used method for initial diagnosis
- CT Scan - The best investigation to diagnose and localise stone disease, It can pick all the stones including the one which are not seen in X-Rays also
- X-Ray KUB - To diagnose stones that are Radiopaque(X-Ray visible)
There are other Ancillary investigations like CUE (Complete Urine Examination), Serum creatinine to aid in diagnosis and treatment.
- Not all stones in kidney are to be worried about .Stones actually causing symptoms and renal damage or having potential for renal damage, only need treatment
- Usually stones less than 4 mm are likely to pass off spontaneously, exceptionally some small stones that do not pass may need treatment
- Large stones definitely need treatment :
- PCNL-For kidney or PUJ stones larger than 2cms
- ESWL-- For Renal or upper ureteric stones which are less than 2cms and radio opeque
- RIRS-Laser stone treatment
- URSL-Laser and conventional for various levels of ureteric stones
- Rarely for large stones with congenital abnormalities conditions, Open surgery may be needed
- Laparoscopic stone surgery in some cases
It is very important to consult a urologist at the best urology hospital in Hyderabad and take proper advice and treatment for your stone disease without neglect. Kidney once damaged cannot be salvaged. Y
Consult Aster prime hospital for all your Kidney related problems.
World class treatment at Aster Prime Hospital with most affordable prices.
DR.Y Rama sanjai
Senior Consultant Urologist
25 Years experience.
DR. Rajendar Reddy Marri
14 Years experience.