Dr. Umesh Srikantha
Consultant - Neurosurgery, Head of Spine Services
Dr. Umesh Srikantha is a highly acclaimed neurosurgeon working as a Senior Consultant and Head of spine services at Aster CMI Hospital. His areas of special interest are Minimally Invasive Spine surgery, Endoscopic Spine surgery, complex spine surgery, Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery and Neuro-oncology.
He did his MBBS from Karnataka Institute of Medical Sciences, Hubli, Karnataka, followed by M.Ch training in Neurosurgery from National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences (NIMHANS), Bangalore, Karnataka. After working as a general neurosurgeon for a few years, he developed an active interest in the field of spine surgery and further pursued his training by doing a Fellowship in Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery from South Korea. Apart from attending various training programs on MIS in the early days of his career, he is also trained in stereotactic and functional neurosurgery and neuro-oncology. He has been a part of several research projects on brain tumours as well.
An ever enthusiastic professional, he has participated in various programs, attended a number of national and international conferences and has several publications to his credit. He has conducted several workshops and has trained several surgeons from across the country in Minimally invasive spine surgery.
- Dr. Umesh has started his career as a junior resident in the department of Neurosurgery, NIMHANS, Bangalore, Karnataka. In 2006, he was promoted as a senior resident at NIMHANS, Bangalore. Later, in 2009, he joined as Assistant Profession in the department of Neurosurgery at M S Ramaiah Medical Teaching Hospital, Bangalore, Karnataka.
- Neurological Society of India - NSI
- Bangalore Neurological Society – BNS
- Indian Medical Association – IMA (Bangalore)
- Minimally Invasive/ Endoscopic Spine Surgery
- Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery
Silver Jubilee Award for the ‘Best Outgoing Student’ of M.Ch in Neurosurgery from NIMHANS, Bangalore for the year 2008.
- During my Neurosurgery residency, I worked as a co-investigator in a study to assess the efficacy of a novel drug AP12009 (TGF-?2 antisense phosphorothioate oligonucleotide – Inhibitor of TGF-?2), presently known as ‘Trabedersen’ in recurrent high grade gliomas. It was called “a multi-national, multi-center, open-label, active-controlled, randomized parallel-group dose-finding study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of two doses of AP 12009 in adult patients with recurrent high-grade glioma, administered intratumorally as continuous high-flow microperfusion over a 7-day period every other week”. The study was funded by Anti-sense Pharma, Germany and was co-ordinated in India by SIRO Clinpharm Pvt. Ltd, Mumbai. There were 14 test subjects from our centre (NIMHANS, Bangalore).
- During my Neurosurgery residency, I was associated with a multi institutional project on “A prospective study to correlate gene signatures with clinical outcome of astrocytomas and identification of potential therapeutic target(s) in glioblastoma”. The project was funded by the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), Government of India. In this project, I assisted in analyzing the association of certain novel glioblastoma biomarkers with the clinical progression and survival of patients with glioblastoma. This led to some of our publications on glioblastoma biomarkers in peer reviewed cancer journals such as ‘Clinical Cancer Research, Cancer Biology and therapy”.
- During my Neurosurgery residency, I was involved in a study to evaluate the clinical, histological features and expression of immunohistochemical markers in medulloblastoma, and to correlate these features with recurrence rates. The most important predictors of recurrence were extent of resection, chemotherapy, presence of gross anaplasia, and c-erb B2 over expression which formed the composition of a clinical-histological-immunohistochemical’ model for medulloblastoma proposed in our study. This work was submitted to NIMHANS as a dissertation in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the M.Ch degree, and also has been published in British Journal of Neurosurgery.
Training And Courses Attended:
- Endoscopic Spine Surgery Workshop and Neurology Update, Dec 2004, Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India
- Endoscopic Skull Base Surgery Workshop (Hands-on cadaver workshop), Sep 2005, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India
- A Hands-on course on advances in spinal care (Hands-on workshops on Cervical disc arthroplasty, Percutaneous posterior cervical fixations, Kyphoplasty, Percutaneous pedicle screw fixation), Medtronic Spinal Therapy and Procedure Training Centre, Oct 2010, New Delhi, India.
- Stereotaxy and Functional Neurosurgery workshop, Nov 15-17, 2010, Academisch Medisch Centrum, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- The 5th advanced course in degenerative spine surgery: Symposium and cadaver workshop on Minimally invasive lumbar surgery. Nov 2011, Seoul, South Korea.
- Fellowship in Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery at Nanoori Hospital, Incheon, South Korea under Dr. Seungcheol Lee, Apr-Jun, 2012.
- 9th International Workshop on Endoscopic Endonasal Skull Base Surgery, Apr 26-28, 2013, Jaipur, Rajasthan, India
- First Navigated 3-D ultrasound (SONOWAND) hands-on course, Nov 27-29, 2013, Bratislava, Slovakia.
Conferences/ Training Courses Organised/ Attended As Faculty:
- Organising Secretary: 1st Annual Spine Cadaver Workshop (Cervical Arthroplasty and ACDF using PEEK-Prevail), March 10th, M S Ramaiah Advanced Learning Center, Bangalore, India
- Faculty at ‘Cadaver course on MAST Lumbar Degenerative Solutions’, August 17th -18th, 2012, M S Ramaiah Advanced Learning center, Bangalore, India (Lecture on ‘Anatomy and Pathology of Lumbar spine’)
- Faculty at IASA cadaver course on ‘Emerging Techniques in Complex Spine - A bioskills Experience’, September 15th- 16th, 2012, M S Ramaiah advanced Learning Center, Bangalore, India (Lecture on ‘Cervical arthroplasty-Rationale, Indications, Technique. Is it superior to ACDF?’)
- Faculty at ‘Cadaver course on MAST, BKP and Posterior cervical stabilisation’, December 14th-15th, 2012, M S Ramaiah advanced Learning Center, Bangalore, India. (Lectures on Anatomy and Pathology of Lumbar spine, Percutaneous pedicle screw fixation techniques, Management of Upper cervical spine injuries)
- Faculty at ‘Management of Osteoporotic Spinal pathologies- A hands-on cadaver course’, March 10th, 2013, M S Ramaiah Advanced Learning Center, Bangalore, India. (Lecture on ‘Pathology and Medical management of Osteoporosis’)
- Faculty at ‘Total MAST degenerative solutions- A hands-on cadaver course’, July 27th-28th, 2013, M S Ramaiah Advanced Learning Center, Bangalore, India. (Lectures on Surgical anatomy of thoracolumbar spine Minimally invasive bilateral foraminotomies)
- Faculty at ‘Cadaver course on Microlumbar Discectomy, Conventional Discectomy and Lumbar Pedicle screw instrumentation’, Aug 3rd-4th, 2013, M S Ramaiah Advanced Learning Center, Bangalore, India. (Lecture on Minimally invasive and Endoscopic Discectomy)
- Faculty at ‘Cadaver workshop on Total cervical spine solutions’, Aug 10th -11th, 2013, M S Ramaiah Advanced Learning Center, Bangalore, India. (Lecture on Literature review on Cervical Arthroplasty)
- Faculty at ‘Advances in Spine surgery- MAST’, Sep 14th-15th, 2013, M S Ramaiah Advanced Learning Center, Bangalore, India. (Lectures on Surgical anatomy of thoracolumbar spine Minimally invasive bilateral foraminotomies)
- Cadaver capsule course (MAST, Posterior cervical fixation), Nov 20th, 2013, MSRALC.
- Cadaver capsule course (MAST), Dec 12th, 2013, MSRALC.
- Cadaver capsule course (MAST), Feb 23rd, 2014, MSRALC.
- Cadaver capsule course (MAST), Mar 24th, 2014, MSRALC.
- Cadaver capsule course (MAST), Jul 9th, 2014, MSRALC.
- Cadaver capsule course (MAST), Aug 13th, 2014, MSRALC.
- Cadaver capsule course (MAST), Sep 19th, 2014, MSRALC.
- Cadaver capsule course (MAST), Oct 14th, 2014, MSRALC.
- Faculty & Organising Secretary: ‘MSR Spine Symposium and Cadaver workshop- Degenerative lumbar spine disease and Minimal access Spine surgery’, May 1st to 4th, 2014, MSRMH auditorium and MSRALC, Bangalore, India.
- Faculty at ‘1st Minimally Invasive Transforaminal Endoscopy training program’, May 10th -11th, 2014, MSRALC, Bangalore, India. (Course Co-ordinator)
- Faculty at ‘Total MAST degenerative solutions’, Jul 4th-5th, 2014, MSRALC, Bangalore, India.
- Faculty at ‘Posterior Cervical Spine solutions’, Sep 27th -28th, 2014, MSRALC, Bangalore, India.
- Faculty at 1st annual meeting of Minimally Invasive Spine Surgeons of India (MISSICON-2014), Nov 22nd-23rd, 2014, Ahmedabad
- 53rd Annual conference of the Neurological Society of India, Dec 2004, Indore, Madhya Pradesh, India
- Neurosurgery Update and Neuroendoscopy Workshop, Apr 2006, Bangalore, Karnataka, India
- 55th Annual conference of the Neurological Society of India, Dec 2006, Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India
- 56th Annual conference of the Neurological Society of India, Dec 2007, Agra, Agra, India
- 57th Annual conference of the Neurological Society of India, Dec 2008, Pune, Maharashtra, India
- Marseille Neurosurgery 2009- Joint Annual Meeting EANS-SFNC, Mar 2009, Marseille, France
- MODICON-2010: First Annual meeting of Movement Disorder Surgery, Apr 2010, Bangalore, India
- BASECON-2010: XII annual conference of the skull base surgery society of India, Oct 2010, Trivandrum, India.
- SPINE-2011: Annual conference of the Neuro-spinal surgeons of India, Sep 2011, Bangalore, India.
- EPICON-2011: Conference on Temporal lobe epilepsy. Current consensus in medical and surgical treatment, Nov 2011, Bangalore, India.
- 60th Annual conference of the Neurological Society of India, Dec 2011, Bangalore, Karnataka, India.
- 3rd International Neurosurgery Update, Jun 2013, Mumbai, India.
- NSICON-2013: 62nd Annual conference of the Neurological Society of India, Dec 2013, NCPA, Mumbai, India.
- Neuro-urology CME-2014, 19/01/14, NIMHANS convention centre, Bengaluru, India.
- 1. Survival in High grade gliomas. Neurocon-2004, Indore. Dec 17-20th.
- 2. Tumour suppressor gene and Oncogene protein expression in adult Glioblastomas. Prognostic significance. Neurocon-2006, Madurai. Dec 14-17th.
- 3. Outcome of Ventriculo-Peritoneal Shunt in Grade IV Tubercular Meningitis with Hydrocephalus. Neurocon-2007, Agra. Dec 14-17th.
- 4. Clinical, Histological and Immunohistochemical factors governing recurrence in Medulloblastomas. Neurocon-2008, AFMC, Pune. Dec 17-20th.
- 5. Anterior skull base reconstruction: Is Heterologous bone a viable option? BASECON 2010, SCTIMST, Trivandrum, Oct 7-9th.
- Recurrence in Medulloblastoma – Influence of clinical, histological and immunohistochemical factors. EANS-SFNC joint annual meeting, March 2009, Marseille, France.
- IGFBP- 2, -3 and -5 are markers of poor prognosis in glioblastoma. EANS-SFNC joint annual meeting, March 2009, Marseille, France.
- BNS (Bangalore Neurological Society) Meeting Presentations:
- 1. Spinal osteochondroma – spectrum of a rare disease BNS meeting, March 20
- Is EVD necessary in all cases of Gr. IV TBM with hydrocephalus prior to VP shunt BNS meeting, March 2008.
- A rare presentation of ectopic sphenoidal pituitary adenoma with Cushing’s disease BNS meeting, July 2009.
- Multiple intracranial aneurysms with meningioma- Technical case report and review BNS meeting, July 2010.
International, Indexed – 11
- Pandey P, Umesh S, Bhat D, Srinivas D, Abraham R, Pillai S, Balasubramaniam A, Devi I, Sampath S, Chandramouli BA. Cerebellar abscesses in children: excision or aspiration? 1: J Neurosurg Pediatrics. 2008 Jan;1(1):31-4.
- Britto R, Umesh S, Hegde AS, Hegde S, Santosh V, Chandramouli BA, Somasundaram K. Shift in AP-2alpha localization characterizes astrocytoma progression. Cancer Biol Ther. 2007 Mar;6(3):413-8.
- Reddy SP, Britto R, Vinnakota K, Aparna H, Sreepathi HK, Thota B, Kumari A, Shilpa BM, Vrinda M, Umesh S, Samuel C, Shetty M, Tandon A, Pandey P, Hegde S, Hegde AS, Balasubramaniam A, Chandramouli BA, Santosh V, Kondaiah P, Somasundaram K, Rao MR. Novel glioblastoma markers with diagnostic and prognostic value identified through transcriptome analysis. Clin Cancer Res. 2008 May 15;14(10):2978-87.
- Umesh Srikantha, Indira Devi Bhagavatula, Satish Satyanarayana, Sampath Somanna, Bengaluru A Chandramouli. Spinal osteochondroma: spectrum of a rare disease. J Neurosurg Spine. 2008 Jun ;8 (6):561-566.
- Reddy PS, Umesh S, Thota B, Tandon A, Pandey P, Hegde AS, Balasubramaniam A, Chandramouli BA, Santosh V, Rao MR, Kondaiah P, Somasundaram K. PBEF1/NAmPRTase/Visfatin: a potential malignant astrocytoma/glioblastoma serum marker with prognostic value. Cancer Biol Ther. 2008 May;7(5):663-8.
- Umesh Srikantha, Jagadeesh V Morab, Savitr Sastry, Rojin Abraham, Anandh Balasubramaniam, Sampath Somanna, Indira Devi, Chandramouli BA, Paritosh Pandey. Outcome of Ventriculo-Peritoneal Shunt in Grade IV Tubercular Meningitis with Hydrocephalus- A retrospective analysis of 95 patients. J Neurosurg Pediatrics 4:176-183, 2009.
- Umesh S, Tandon A, Santosh V, Anandh B, Sampath S, Chandramouli BA, Sastry KVR. Clinical and immunohistochemical prognostic factors in adult glioblastoma patients. Clin Neuropathol 28(5):362-72, 2009.
- Umesh Srikantha, Anandh Balasubramaniam, Vani Santosh, Sampath S, Indira Devi B, Chandramouli BA. Recurrence in medulloblastoma – Influence of clinical, histological and immunohistochemical factors. British Journal of Neurosurgery 24(3):280-288, 2010.
- Madhugiri VS, Sastri BV, Srikantha U, Banerjee AD, Somanna S, Devi BI, Chandramouli BA, Pandey P. Focal intradural brain infections in children: An analysis of management and outcome. Pediatric Neurosurgery 2011;47(2):113-24
- Umesh Srikantha, Kiran Khanapure, Murali Mohan S, Ravi Gopal Varma. Sphenoidal ectopic ACTH-secreting Pituitary adenoma. J Pioneering Med Sci 2012;2(2) (Apr-Jun) (online).
- Srikantha U, Khanapure K, Nirmala S, Varma RG. Occipital dermal sinus with a vermian dermoid. J Neurosci Rural Pract 2012;3:392-4
- Lee SC, Kang JH, Srikantha U, Jang IT, Oh SH. Extraforaminal compression of L5 nerve root at the lumbo-sacral junction: Clinical analysis, Technique of decompression and Outcome. J Neurosurg Spine. Published online January 24, 2014; DOI: 10.3171/2013.12.SPINE12629
Publications Under Review:
- Lee SC, Srikantha U, Kang JH, Park T, Jang IT, Oh SH. Spinous Process splitting Laminectomy: Clinical outcome and Radiological analysis of extent of decompression. (Submitted to International journal of Spinal surgery).
- Lee SC, Srikantha U, Jang IT, Oh SH, Kang JH. Surgical management of Giant Lumbar Extradural Schwannoma: Report of 3 cases. Special emphasis on minimal access resection using tubular retractor. (Submitted to International journal of Spinal surgery)
- Umesh S, Sitabkhan M, Aniruddha TJ, Kiran K, Varma RG, Hegde AS. Minimally Invasive versus Open Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion - Early outcome observations. (Submitted to Indian journal of Orthopedics)
- Nirmala S, Umesh S, Aniruddha TJ, Kiran K, Varma RG, Hedge AS. Comparative study between Open and Minimally Invasive approach – Posterior Cervical Laminoforaminotomy. (Submitted to The journal of Spinal Surgery)