Dr. Dhananjaya I Bhat
Consultant - Neurosurgery
Dr. Dhananjaya I Bhat is a renowned Neurosurgeon. Presently he is working as a Consultant Neurosurgeon at Aster RV, Bangalore. Dr. Dhananjaya I Bhat, a Neurosurgeon with 25 years of expertise, graduated with an MBBS degree from Bangalore University in 1997 and obtained his M.Ch. in Neurosurgery from the National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences (NIMHANS) in 2003.
Dr. Dhananjaya I Bhat, a highly accomplished neurosurgeon, had a distinguished career spanning over 20 years in teaching and research. Graduating from NIMHANS Bangalore in 2007, he progressed from Assistant Professor to his final position as Professor. Dr. Bhat performed and guided colleagues through over 3500 brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgeries, emphasizing advanced techniques. Throughout his career, he actively participated in academic pursuits, co-authoring approximately 150 papers both International products on head injuries. teaching neurosurgery, and serving as a co-guide for Ph.D. students. His strong academic presence was evident as a regular reviewer for journals like Neurology India, World Neurosurgery, and the Indian Journal of Neurosurgery.
Dr. Bhat's commitment extended to departmental responsibilities, including creating MCH Neurosurgery entrance exam papers, evaluating results, and organizing educational courses. He dedicated approximately 50-60 hours per week to clinical services and 15-20 hours to student teaching. His impactful research included investigating blast-induced neurotrauma, exploring the role of stem cells in peripheral nerve regeneration, and leading projects on brachial plexus injury and lumbar disc degeneration. Dr. Bhat collaborated extensively with departments like Neurology, Neurochemistry, and Genetics, making significant contributions to genetic research on aneurysms, gliomas, and lumbar disc degeneration. As a principal investigator for DST-funded projects and a co-investigator in international head injury trials - RESCUE SDH trail. Dr. Bhat's contributions extended beyond clinical practice to leave a lasting impact on the field of neurosurgery. In addition to this, Dr. Bhat is also a co-author of 120 peer-reviewed publications and an investigator for several other ethics committee-approved clinical research protocols.
- Brain Tumor Complex skull based surgeries.
- Vascular Trigeminal in Spine surgeries
- Hirayama Disease.
- NTSI-The Alfred Trauma Research Development Award, for paper presented at Neurotrauma 2014, 23rd Annual Conference of Neurotrauma Society of India 29th-31st August 2014, Dehradun. On "Validation of a blast-induced neurotrauma model using modified Reddy tube in rats: A pilot study."
- Received Young Neurosurgeons Travel Fellowship for 1sth World Congress of Neurosurgery September 8th-13th 2013, Seoul, Korea: "Does Wrapping of Human Amniotic Membrane Improve Nerve Regeneration in Rats with Cold Preserved Allografts?" also Chaired a session on surgical treatment of traumatic peripheral nerve lesions.
- Fellowship from The Alfred Trauma Center, Melbourne to visit The Alfred Trauma Center in Melbourne in September 2015 and familiarize with their style of working in trauma.
- NSI award in 2004 PGI Chandigarh for best platform presentation on research in peripheral nerve injuries in rats.