Dr. Srivatsa Lokeshwaran
Lead Consultant and Head of Department - Interventional Pulmonology and Lung Transplant
With over ten years of extensive experience in the field of pulmonology, Dr. Srivatsa Lokeshwaran’s special expertise lies in interventional pulmonology, lung transplants, airway disease, pulmonary fibrosis and sleep medicine. Dr. Srivatsa’s approach to medicine is evidence based and he actively seeks to stay abreast of the latest advancements in his field.
Dr. Srivatsa is especially skilled at Interventional Pulmonology and has trained with world-renowned interventional pulmonologists at National university hospital,Singapore in advanced airway and pleural procedures such as:
● EBUS (Endobronchial ultrasound)
● Rigid bronchoscopy and advanced central airway procedures
● Peripheral pulmonary nodule navigation and biopsy
It is this approach to medicine that made him an integral part of the team that performed the first ever bronchial thermoplasty procedure in the state of Karnataka, India for advanced Asthma.
Additionally, he is also credited with being the transplant physician on the multidisciplinary team that performed the first Bilateral lung transplant for a post COVID fibrosis patient in the state of Karnataka. He is now actively running the transplant clinic at Aster and has successfully completed several lung transplants.
He ran the asthma and airway disease clinic at National University Hospital (NUH), Singapore alongside other experts. He now runs an asthma clinic in asthma phenotyping and advanced therapies for asthma-like targeted therapy.Dr. Srivatsa also runs a state-of-the-art Interstitial Lung Disease (ILD) clinic, one of the very few in the country to have a comprehensive ILD multidisciplinary group.
Dr. Srivatsa completed his undergraduate training at KIMS, Bengaluru, followed by his training in M.D. (Pulmonary medicine) from AIMS (Kochi).
He then went on to complete his Fellowship in Respiratory and Critical Care medicine from the world-renowned National University Hospital (NUH), Singapore.He holds the distinction of being the first international fellow in respiratory and critical care medicine from NUH, Singapore.
He has a Fellowship in Respiratory Endoscopy from the National Cancer Center, Japan, one of the premier institutes of advanced cancer management and research. He trained in CT mapping, convex EBUS, radial EBUS, autofluorescence, photodynamic therapy,early diagnosis of lung cancer, electromagnetic navigation, and other advanced diagnostics and therapeutic airway and pleural interventions. He also received a MABIP accredited Fellowship in advanced interventions like rigid bronchoscopy, complex central airway pathologies, cryotherapy, and laser and endobronchial valves during his stint at Serdang Hospital, Malaysia.
- Interventional Pulmonology -Trained with world-renowned interventional pulmonologists at Singapore in advanced airway and pleural procedures like thoracoscopy, EBUS, tumour debulking and stenting, and bronchial thermoplasty.
- Trained at National Cancer Center, Japan, in the navigation, mapping and early cancer diagnoses like radial EBUS, electromagnetic navigation, and other navigation systems.
- Trained at Serdang Hospital, Malaysia in advanced interventions like rigid bronchoscopy, complex central airway pathologies, cryotherapy, laser, and endobronchial valves.
- Ran an Asthma and airway disease clinic at National University Hospital, Singapore alongside experts. Currently running an asthma clinic in asthma phenotyping and advanced therapies for asthma-like targeted therapy and bronchial thermoplasty.
- Running a Lung transplant clinic for patients with lung fibrosis and advanced lung diseases in respiratory failure.
- Running a state-of-the-art Interstitial Lung Disease (ILD) clinic, one of the very few in the country to have a comprehensive ILD multidisciplinary group.
- Conducts regular academic activities in ILD for national interest every year.
- Sleep medicine
First International Fellow to complete a fellowship in respiratory and critical care medicine from NUH, Singapore.\
Elected Fellow of the American College of Chest Physicians.
Best outgoing student in MD.
- Indian Chest Society
- American College of Chest Physicians
- European Respiratory Society
- European Association of Allergy and Clinical Immunology
- Karnataka Pulmonology Association
- Amrita Bronchology and Interventional Pulmonology group Papers Published
- Papers published in numerous peer reviewed journals.
- Faculty and speaker at numerous national and international forums.
- Srivatsa Lokeshwaran,Preethika Palani,Sunil Kumar K,Nitesh Gupta. A 33 year old woman with breathlessness,inspiratory wheeze and hemoptysis-synovial cell sarcoma of trachea. March 2023 Chest 163(March 2023):e141-e145.DOI:10.1016/j.chest.2022.08.2220.
- 2.Srivatsa Lokeshwaran,Priyanka V.K,Sunil Kumar K,Nitesh Gupta.Unusual presentation of T Cell Lymphoblastic Lymphoma. October 2022Chest 162(4)DOI:10.1016/j.chest.2022.08.1807
- 3.Srivatsa Lokeshwaran,Rajesh V,Asmita Anilkumar Mehta. Pleural Endometriosis. Pulmon,Vol 13,Issue 1,Jan-Apr,2011September 2022.
- 4.Sanjana Chetana Shanmukhappa,Srivatsa Lokeshwaran. Venous Oxygen Saturation-Stat Pearls September 2022.
- 5.Nischal G K,Srivatsa Lokeshwaran,Rahul Talwade,Sunil Kumar K. Endovascular Treatment of Pulmonary Artery Pseudoaneurysms Post-COVID-19 Pneumonitis February 2022.Journal of Clinical Interventional Radiology ISVIR 07(01)DOI:10.1055/s-0041-1740571.
- 6. Sonam Dolma, Thenzin V Jubil, Benajir Aktar, Srivatsa Lokeshwaran, Nitesh Gupta and Praveen Kumar.Phone Interview for assessment of effect of Omalizumab in Asthma Patients with Ig E phenotype at a Tertiary Centre in India.World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research,Volume 11,Issue 15,960-973. January 2022.DOI:10.20959/wjpr202215-26061.
- 7.Ratna Prakash,Asmah Moosa Abdulla Ahmed,Srivatsa Lokeshwaran,Sunil Kumar K,Nevile Aditya Murali.Hemophagocytic Lymphohostiocytosis(HLH) and TB:Early Diagnosis proves crucial World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research,Volume 11,Issue 16. January 2022.DOI:10.20959/wjpr202216-26206
- 8.Srivatsa Lokeshwaran,Sanjana Chetana Shanmukhappa,Sunil Kumar K,Prakash Doraisamy. “Peanut saves the day”: an innovative solution to massive, cryptogenic haemoptysis—a case study.June 2021Respirology Case Reports .DOI:10.1002/rcr2.754.
- 9.Srivatsa Lokeshwaran,Asmita Anil Kumar Mehta.COPD and Troponin I. Biomarkers in COPD Vol 21, Number 3, (Sep - Dec) 2019 ISSN 0973-3809.