Dr N Kavitha Bhat is a Senior Consultant in Paediatrics Endocrinology & Diabetes with over 25 years of experience in managing Diabetes and other hormonal problems in children and teenagers.
Her profound interest in Paediatric Endocrinology and the belief that India needed Paediatric Subspecialists made her take up her USMLE in the ’90s, while she was the 2nd year Paediatric resident in Bangalore Medical College. She then went on to do her fellowship in Paediatric Endocrinology & Diabetes from Louisiana State University School of Medicine, USA.
After her return from the US she joined Manipal Hospital, Bangalore, where she was responsible for starting the first of its kind Paediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes services in the state of Karnataka. In addition, she was faculty for DNBE and MD Paediatrics (Manipal Kathmandu Program) as well.
While at Manipal Hospital, she also served as an Honorary Consultant at The Indira Gandhi Institute of Child Health where she was instrumental in starting the Paediatric Endocrinology services as well as a Paediatric Diabetes clinic, where the institution provided insulin, free of cost, to children with diabetes.
In 2015 she accepted the position of Senior Consultant in Paediatric Endocrinology at Rainbow Children’s Hospital where in addition to attending to patients, she was also the program coordinator for the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences Paediatric Endocrinology Fellowship Program.
Hormonal problems in children usually last for a lifetime. Transitioning them to adult care involves a period of combined care with adult physicians. Aster Hospitals offers this advantage.
Being a part of the Aster Kids family, she hopes to contribute to the development of a full gamut of quality Paediatric Services including sub-specialties which will also ensure seamless continuity of care for children with endocrine problems grow into adults.
- Paediatric & Adolescent Diabetes
- Short Stature & Growth hormone therapy
- Early and late puberty
- Obesity in children and teenagers
- Disorders in genital development: babies born with abnormal genitalia, undescended testes, micropenis
- Paediatric Bone health: bones that break or bend easily including Osteogenesis imperfecta, rickets, osteoporosis, other varieties of metabolic bone diseases seen in kidney diseases, Prematurity, hypogonadism , steroid treatment
- Endocrine sequelae of cancer treatment
- Pituitary, thyroid, adrenal, gonadal disorders
- Precocious & Delayed puberty
- Endocrine disorders in syndromic disorders