Aster Prime Hospital does not offer any sort of employment in exchange for payment of money for any purpose whatsoever. If you receive any similar kind of offer from anyone representing Aster Prime Hospital, please send an email with the intimation and related documents to [email protected].
Bifurcation Lesion Angioplasty

Coronary angioplasty is a minimally invasive procedure. During this procedure, your cardiologist will dilate a balloon at the site of blockage in the heart blood vessels.

This procedure dilates coronary arteries, enabling easy blood flow in these arteries. A stent is implanted at the site of blockage to keep your artery open. A primary angioplasty is usually done as a life-saving procedure during an acute heart attack. To prevent restenosis, a drug-eluting stent is inserted. This kind of stent delivers a drug locally to the blood artery wall that prevents the blockage from coming back.

Bifurcation lesion angioplasty is a type of angioplasty for blockage in a site where the artery divides into two branches. In this condition, both branches of the artery have narrowed. Due to its risky location, it is more challenging to treat. Unlike single artery blockage, if a balloon angioplasty is done in one artery here, there is a significant risk of another branch closing.

Newer bifurcation lesion angioplasty reduces this risk by preserving the main blood vessel and the side branch. This minimally invasive procedure reduces the risk of side branch closure and lowers the need for bypass surgery. In addition, compared to bypass surgery, bifurcation lesion angioplasty requires a short hospital stay and fast recovery.

The invasive cardiology department at Aster Hospital is known for excellence in the field of invasive procedures and diagnostics. With top-notch modern surgical equipment and an excellent team of qualified specialists, Aster Hospital is known to provide the best management and services in cardiology. Here are the diagnostic facilities and amenities provided at Aster.



At Aster Hospitals we provide the highest quality of care and a transformative experience for all your healthcare needs. With our network of multi-speciality hospitals, specialised doctors, and world-class technology, we bring global standards of medical care to our patients.

Can a bifurcation lesion be treated with a stent?

Bifurcation lesions are common, but there are increased risks of restenosis. However, a conventional stent can help treat a bifurcation lesion but it involves some complications. An upfront 2-stent approach or bifurcation lesion angioplasty should be considered in the blockage of an artery that supplies a larger area of the heart.

What are the complications of bifurcation lesion angioplasty?

Most bifurcation lesion angioplasties are successful and do not have any complications. Although in rare cases, there can be a risk of developing

l In-stent restenosis

l Stent thrombosis

How long do the results of bifurcation lesion angioplasty last?

All kinds of stents used in angioplasty are made to be permanent. These will continue to keep your blood artery open. However, stents don't treat the underlying cause of atherosclerosis. You will need different treatments to prevent artery narrowing in the future.

Does bifurcation lesion angioplasty hurt?

You won't feel significant pain during bifurcation lesion angioplasty. However, you may have slight discomfort when the needle punctures the artery. Slight pain is felt at the time of removal of the sheath.

Does bifurcation lesion angioplasty have the risk of side branch closure?

Well, contemporary bifurcation angioplasty using expert imaging techniques carries a 99% success rate. However, there can be a chance of losing a side branch in 1% of cases. In addition, in 3-6% of cases, there can be a risk of repeat narrowing after nine months.

What are the precautions to be taken after bifurcation lesion angioplasty?

Precautions after bifurcation lesion angioplasty are similar to those after minimally invasive cardiac procedures.
l Walking short distances on a flat surface only.
l Limiting using stairs for a few days.
l Avoiding working in yards, driving, squatting, carrying heavy objects, or playing sports until your cardiologist tells you it is safe.

Can a 100% blocked artery be treated with bifurcation lesion angioplasty?

Usually, people develop symptoms when the artery is blocked by 70% or more. These kinds of blocks, including bifurcation blocks, can be successfully treated.

How many days of hospital stay is needed for bifurcation lesion angioplasty?

Your cardiologist will decide the precise number of days for hospital stay after assessing your condition. However, be prepared for a minimum two-day hospital stay.


One Aster

Personalized Medical Assistant for all your healthcare needs.
Book instant appointment, pay securely, eConsult with our doctors and save all your health records at one place are some of the benefits of OneAster App. It is everything you need, to manage your family Health.


Scan QR Code To Download

* Registration available only for valid Indian mobile number