Reason for panic attack
The root cause of panic attack is not exactly known. Though genetics definitely play a role, this condition can also be related to certain phobias, depression, substance abuse and depression.
Panic attacks can also result from a serious accident, death of a loved one, emotional trauma due to separation and intense life-changing experiences.
- Sudden intense anxiety
- Sweating, shaking, palpitation
- A feeling of choking
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain or discomfort
- Nausea and dizziness
- Fear of death
- Numbness or tingling
- Chills or hot flushes
Remember, panic attacks and heart attacks show similar symptoms. Though it lasts only a few minutes, it can leave a person exhausted and emotionally drained.
Post-traumatic stress disorder, schizophrenia and obsessive compulsive disorder are also known to trigger panic attacks.
Treatment for Panic Attacks
- Seek psychiatric help
- Take a break and relax the min
- Quit / control smoking and drinking
- Yoga, breathing techniques or meditation techniques can help reduce stress
- Counselling and behavioural therapy can also reduce stress
- Avoid caffeine