Department of Cardiac Sciences in Aster MIMS hospital in Calicut is one of the few canters in the Country to provide comprehensive quaternary cardiac care services in various subspecialities like Adult Interventional Cardiology and Adult Cardiothoracic Surgery, Pediatric Interventional Cardiology and Pediatric Cardiac Surgery, Cardiac Electrophysiology, Endovascular interventions, Vascular Surgery, Cardio-Radiology, Nuclear Cardiology, and Cardiac Rehabilitation. The State-of-the-art facilities at the center include advanced Cardiac Cath labs, completely modernized cardiac operation theatres, Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery (MICS) suit, Cardiac Physiology, and Imaging lab with Fractional Flow Reserve (FFR), Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT), and Intravascular Ultrasound (IVUS) aiding in precision care in coronary artery disease (CAD).
Our hospital runs one of the best Structural Heart Disease (SHD) interventional and surgical programs in the country with advanced and minimalist treatment for Valvular and other structural diseases, guided by world-class 3D CT imaging and 4-d Live TEE imaging. The heart failure clinic in Aster MIMS is manned by cardiologists and nurses trained and specialized in the diagnosis and treatment of heart failure and detect and triage candidates for Heart Transplantation and Assist Device therapies. The Cardiac Electrophysiologist in Our Arrhythmia team detects and manages various cardiac rhythm abnormalities by RF Ablation. The exceptional team of interventional cardiologists, cardiac surgeons, cardiac electrophysiologists, specialty nurses, and technicians follow international protocols of medicine to deliver excellent interventional and surgical outcomes and medical care to their patients.
Specialties and Sub-specialties offered
Department of Adult Cardiology
- First centre to perform TAVI in North Kerala in 2017. Established dedicated TAVI program in collaboration with University Hospital, Copenhagen and currently has performed maximum number of TAVI cases in Kerala.
- First and Largest complete Interventional cardiac care centre in North Kerala with experience of more than 35,000 cardiac catheterization till date
- Offers basic and advanced coronary interventions including CTO angioplasty, rotablation and OCT, intravascular ultrasound and FFR- guided procedures
- Specialized centre performing largest number of TAVI, structural interventions including ASD, VSD and PDA device closure, valvuloplasty including BAV, BPV, BMV, BTV, Balloon pericardiostomy.
- Dedicated aortic and peripheral interventional centre including complex EVAR, TEVAR, Fenestrated EVAR, peripheral, carotid, renal and mesenteric angioplasty & stenting. Critical limb ischemia care, venous interventions including dialysis access intervention.
Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery
- Most experienced Cardiac surgery unit in Malabar with more than 9000 open heart operations to date
- Centre of excellence in off pump coronary artery bypass surgery, and valvular heart surgeries, including complex valve repairs
- Minimally invasive cardiac surgery (MICS)
- Centre for cardiac transplantation & Heart failure, ECMO
- Centre for robotic cardiothoracic surgeries and aortic surgery
- Thoracic Oncology multidisciplinary team, Redo Heart Surgeries
- Grown-up Adult Congenital heart disease (GUCH) surgery
- Full range of thoracic surgery and VATS- Video Assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery
- Full spectrum of vascular surgery including dissection repairs and peripheral vascular surgeries
- TAVI and EVAR by Heart team
- Offers advanced paediatric, fetal and neonatal cardiac services including neonatal and paediatric echocardiography
- Offers dedicated fetal cardiac program which include fetal echocardiogram, counseling and further management. This also includes management of fetal cardiac arrhythmias and intrauterine transfer and peri-natal care of fetal CHD in required patients, in coordination with concerned departments.
- Offers interventional paediatric cardiac services including ASD, VSD, PDA device closures, and interventions for complex congenital heart diseases
- Paediatric cardiac surgery
- Advanced paediatric and neonatal cardiac surgical and anesthetic services, with dedicated ICU, offering full range of surgeries for simple and complex congenital heart disease
- Only centre having dedicated paediatric and congenital heart surgery facility in Malabar with facility to cater to neonate, infants and paediatric patients
- Operating patients with complex congenital heart disease in all age groups from across India and abroad- from Africa including Somalia and Nigeria
- Tie-up with Milaap, MIMS trust, Aster DM foundation and ISM heart care fund to provide affordable treatment. A tie up with EKAM foundation is in pipeline.
- Enrolled with Hridyam, a Kerala Government initiative for helping children born with congenital heart disease. The team has completed 150 heart surgeries under Hridyam since October, 2018.
- Offers routine electrophysiological studies with radiofrequency ablation of supraventricular and ventricular tachycardia using 3 D Mapping technology.
- Offers pacemaker implantation, automated implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (AICD) implantation and Cardiac resynchronization therapy (CRT).
- Largest TAVI center in Kerala.
- Most skilled and highly trained team for Complex Coronary Angioplasty
- Active cardiac transplantation program.
- Minimally invasive CABG/ Valve surgeries
- Centre for cardiac transplantation & Heart failure, ECMO
Through our 25+ specialities, we provide in-depth expertise in the spectrum of advance medical and surgical interventions. Our specialties are integrated to provide a seamless experience.
We have some of the best specialists from around the world, they bring years of experience and offer evidence-based treatment to ensure the best care for you.
We provide comprehensive treatment for all types diseases under one roof. Our highly experienced doctors supported by especially trained clinical staff, ensure the best care for you.
Well equipped with the latest medical equipment, modern technology & infrastructure, Aster Hospital is one of the best hospitals in India.
Diagnose and measure the ability of the heart to withstand external stress conditions. People often encounter conditions where their heart responds abnormally while working out or climbing stairs. This can create severe complications if ignored. A person might feel strong palpation, increased heartbeat and chest pains. Aster’s Rest & Exercise Stress ECG aims to diagnose all such conditions when the heart may respond abnormally. The expert doctors measure the ability of the heart to respond to external stress. Aster’s infrastructure supports many labs and high-tech machines, it’s experienced team and the Cardiology Department perform these tests in well-controlled conditions.
To find the cause of fainting spells by taking different tests. Young adults or even children may face vasovagal attacks due to a sudden drop in blood pressure. This reduces the circulation of blood and causes unconsciousness and sudden fainting of the person. Aster’s Head Up-Tilt Test aims at testing your body in various angles to understand the cause of fainting spells. The expert doctors record the heart rate and blood pressure while performing the test. Aster’s strong infrastructure, it’s seasoned team, and the Cardiology Department monitor the patient's heart’s response, oxygen levels and blood pressure in the electrophysiology lab.
It tracks heart rhythm to check and confirm any heart-related problems. Patients with an irregular heartbeat could be suffering from arrhythmia. Under this condition, the patient may experience rapid heartbeat or the heart may become slower-paced. It is a symptom that indicates that the electrical signal coordinating the heartbeat is not working. Arrhythmia is potentially fatal and causes severe complications. A cardiologist will recommend you to undergo an electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG), a common test to diagnose arrhythmia. Holter monitoring is a gift of medical technology that records your uneven heartbeat for 24 to 48 hours continuously. The device is a blessing for patients with a pacemaker as it enables the doctor to study the heart’s activity throughout the day. The cardiology department of the Aster Hospital is ahead of its time. It is equipped with the latest Holter monitor for a thorough examination of the heart and provides an accurate report for proper treatment.
This is a non-invasive imaging test to check the blood flow to the heart muscle and recognize poor areas of blood flow. If a person often experiences chest pain for an extended period or is suspected of coronary artery disease (CAD), he/she needs medical attention from qualified cardiologists. The doctors may recommend a stress myocardial perfusion scan to assess the blood flow, heart muscle damage, etc. Patients who have sustained a heart attack or undergone bypass surgery, angioplasty, or stent placement also need to be examined with the help of myocardial perfusion imaging studies. It is a non-invasive imaging test that assesses the blood flow through the heart muscles and determines if the heart muscle is pumping normally. Aster Hospital’s cardiology department has an exemplary infrastructure with myocardial perfusion imaging studies to detect weak heart muscles and poor blood flow.
This test is performed to visualize and check the performance of aorta, heart and other blood vessels. Patients who suffer from malfunctioning of heart valves or chambers and the heart’s inability to pump blood could be diagnosed with congenital heart valve disease. It involves pulmonary or aortic valves that do not perform properly. Such conditions arise when the valves’ shape and size become irregular, or the flap tissue is insufficient to allow proper blood flow. Patients' conditions may deteriorate if they do not allow timely medical intervention. They need a cardiologist who will prescribe transthoracic and transesophageal echocardiography, which will determine the patient's heart condition. The cardiology department of Aster Hospital is furnished with highly developed medical equipment that examines the patient’s condition accurately for correct treatment. Transthoracic and transesophageal echocardiography prevent heart failure and death.
Want to find out more about the treatment? The answer to your questions can be found below.
What is heart attack?
A heart attack occurs when a blood clot blocks blood flow to the heart. It is also called Myocardial Infarction (MI) and is a medical emergency treated without delay.
What are the common causes of heart disease?
High-risk factors are:
- Having high blood pressure
- Physical Inactivity
- High cholesterol
- High levels of lipoprotein
- Excessive use of alcohol or caffeine
- Heart problem present at birth.
How bad is alcohol for the heart?
Excessive alcohol intake can lead to high blood pressure, heart failure or stroke. Excessive drinking can also contribute to a disorder that affects the heart muscle.
Alcohol can contribute to obesity and the long list of health problems that can go along with it.
How can you prevent blood pressure?
Lead an active lifestyle, Exercise regularly, Keep yourself at a healthy weight and avoid drinking alcohol and smoking.
What are the symptoms of a heart attack?
Chest pain :
- This symptom can be mild and feel like discomfort or heaviness
- Pain on left arm and shoulder, neck, jaw, back or down toward your waist
- Shortness of breath or trouble breathing
- Nausea or stomach discomfort
- Feeling lightheaded, dizzy, or passing out.
What is Angioplasty?
Procedure to improve blood flow in blood vessels that have become narrow or blocked.
What is high blood pressure?
High blood pressure is a common condition that affects the body's arteries. It is also called hypertension. Normal pressure is 120/80 or lower.
When to see a cardiologist?
If you notice a pattern of heart disease, chest pain, shortness of breath, palpitations or dizziness including high cholesterol and high blood pressure, take action and get checked by a cardiologist.
Our patients are our best advocates, hear the inspiring stories of their treatment journey