A touch of hope in the New Year

Posted on : Jul 12, 2021


A mother gave birth to her daughter while on a ventilator with COVID-19. After her daughter spent months in the neonatal intensive care unit, she finally met her on New Year's Day.

Anju from Muvattupuzha, who gave birth by emergency C-section while battling COVID-19, has tested negative for COVID-19 and is finally meeting her baby girl after completing her seven-day quarantine.

On this New Year's Day, baby Magdalene Maria is finally safe and is ready to meet her parents for the first time. Midhun and Anju, the couple who survived this deadly virus, have an even bigger reason to celebrate this year. As the mother has tested negative and completed the quarantine, she can finally hold her new-born baby girl in her arms for the first time in her life.

Anju and Midhun residents of Muvattupuzha, Thrikkalathoor, Mundayhkkal house were awaiting their baby for eight long years. After long years of treatment and prayers, Anju conceived last year. She and her husband tested positive for COVID-19 while she was seven and a half months pregnant. Anju was admitted to a hospital at Muvattupuzha a few days later while Midhun remained in home-quarantine.

After her pneumonia worsened, they called Aster Medcity for further management. Upon receiving the call, the ED team immediately swung into action and transferred her to the hospital with mobile ventilator support. The mom-to-be was taken to the operation theatre where the obstetric doctors were ready for the emergency caesarean section. The 32 weeks old Magdalene was born prematurely. Although tested negative for COVID-19, the new-born had to spend the first days of her life in the ICU while her mother's condition was still critical.

The mother continued to fight for her life with the help of a ventilator and ECMO (Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation Ventilator). Later a tube was inserted into her trachea to provide oxygen. Her medical condition continued to improve. She was out of ECMO support after a week and of the ventilator support after a few days. Gradually the mother and the new-born improved their health in this battle against COVID-19.

Anju got discharged from the hospital on 26th December and the baby on 28th. After eight long years, Anju waited to complete her quarantine to touch and hold her baby girl for the first time. As the quarantine got completed on New Year's Day, she finally met her baby and started their new life.

It is a testament to the multidisciplinary clinical excellence and the great team effort at Aster Medcity. The miracle team comprises Emergency Medicine doctors, Gynaecologists, Neonatologists, Pulmonologists, Critical care doctors, Anaesthesiologists, Perfusionists, Infection Control team, Rehabilitation therapists, and the nursing team.